MasterChef star Reynold Poernomo transforms KFC fried chicken into a gourmet BREAKFAST dish – so would you try it?
- MasterChef Australia’s Reynold Poernomo has created a gourmet breakfast dish
- The dessert king shared recipe for Chicken ‘n Croffles – a croissant-waffle hybrid
- The dish comes with fried chicken, spicy Kewpie mayo slaw and pickled onions
MasterChef Australia star Reynold Poernomo has created a gourmet breakfast dish – complete with fried chicken, spicy Kewpie mayo slaw and pickled onions.
The dessert king shared his recipe for Chicken ‘n Croffles – a croissant-waffle hybrid, topped with KFC’s Wicked Wings and maple syrup.
While the dish may look worthy of a five-star restaurant, the 27-year-old, from Sydney, has made it easy for anyone to replicate in a few simple steps.
You’ll need Wicked Wings, croissant, maple syrup, sriracha, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, parsley, white wine vinegar, red onion and cabbage.
MasterChef Australia star Reynold Poernomo (pictured) has created a gourmet breakfast dish – complete with fried chicken, spicy Kewpie mayo slaw and pickled onions
‘The first thing we’re going to make is our pickled red onion. To make that, we’re going to make a very simple pickling liquid,’ Reynold said.
In a saucepan, he added white wine vinegar and caster sugar.
‘Bring this bad boy up to a boil – and we’re going to start chopping up our red onions. So with the red onions, I’m going to cut them into nice wedges, and then pull them apart. I’m going to put them into a mason jar.
‘Give the pickling liquid a good swirl to make sure you dissolve all that sugar.’
Once it’s boiling, he poured the mixture into the jar.
‘Let that sit in liquid for a good 30 minutes.’
Chicken ‘n Croffle recipe
INGREDIENTS (serves 5)
For the coleslaw:
200g Purple cabbage
120g Kewpie mayo
½ tsp Cayenne pepper
½ tsp Smoked paprika
1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
For the pickled onion:
100g white wine vinegar
95g caster sugar
1 red onion
Pinch of salt
For the croffle:
10 KFC Wicked Wings
1. Cut onions into wedges of eights and pull the layers apart, discarding the outer skin and root. Place them in a mixing bowl.
2. Place vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, pour it over the mix and add a pinch of salt. Set aside for 30-45 minutes.
1. Shred the cabbages and carrots and place them in a mixing bowl with the mayo, spices, salt and pepper until mixed through.
1. Place a croissant in a waffle maker and press down, cooking it until crisp on the edges.
2. Pull apart the Wicked Wings and discard the bones.
1. Place the croffle on the plate, then add a layer of coleslaw on top.
2. Add in pulled wings, a few layers of pickled onion, sprinkle with parsley and lastly drizzle with maple syrup.
The dessert king shared his recipe for Chicken ‘n Croffles – a croissant-waffle hybrid, topped with KFC’s Wicked Wings and maple syrup
To make the ‘croffle’, he simply placed a croissant into a waffle maker. If you don’t have a waffle maker, you can also cook your croissant on a dry pan over medium heat. Just press down until both sides are nice and caramelised
Reynold used the fried chicken from KFC’s Wicked Wings to create his gourmet dish
The next step is to prepare the coleslaw. Reynold finely sliced the cabbage and carrots before adding them to a bowl.
He seasoned the coleslaw with Kewpie mayonnaise, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and sriracha sauce.
To make the ‘croffle’, he simply placed a croissant into a waffle maker. If you don’t have a waffle maker, you can also cook your croissant on a dry pan over medium heat. Just press down until both sides are nice and caramelised.
‘Meanwhile while the croffle is cooking, we’re going to start chopping our Wicked Wings and making it boneless,’ he said.
‘Chop the wings right down the centre, just where the joints are together and separate the bones, you get this nice, beautiful, crispy, chunky bit of meat,’ he said.
To assemble, he placed the crispy croffle on a plate, topped with the coleslaw, fried chicken, parsley, pickled onions and drizzled maple syrup over.
‘There you have it guys, this is looking absolutely delicious,’ Reynold said, adding: ‘I can’t wait to tuck in.’