News, Culture & Society

Masterchef’s George Calombaris embroiled in neighbourhood dispute

George Calombaris hit headlines last year, after it was revealed his restaurants had underpaid staff a whopping $2.6 million in wages

And now the Masterchef judge is fighting another bout of bad publicity, embroiled in a bitter dispute with his 71-year-old next-door neighbour.

Speaking with the Herald Sun on Monday, Helen Elsworth revealed that the celebrity chef has erected a self-contained gym in the backyard of his Melbourne mansion, robbing her of privacy.

‘He’s the worst neighbour I’ve had in my life’: On Monday, The Herald Sun reported that George Calombaris is embroiled in a dispute with his next-door neighbour Helen Elsworth after he and his wife Natalie Tricarico erected a home gym in their backyard

Despite being told the structure was legal and had neighbour approval, Helen told the Herald Sun she wants it torn down as she believes it breaches regulations

‘He’s the worst neighbour I’ve had in my life,’ she stated. 

‘He should be living in Central Australia somewhere, where he can’t bother people, not in the suburbs.’ 

Melbourne mansion: George snapped up the stunning residence in upmarket Toorak back in 2014 for the sum of $4.75 million

Melbourne mansion: George snapped up the stunning residence in upmarket Toorak back in 2014 for the sum of $4.75 million

George snapped up the stunning residence in upmarket Toorak back in 2014 for the sum of $4.75 million.

But only recently has a ‘hideous black box’ – which houses a private gym- appeared in the backyard of his home.

Despite living in her residence for 33 years, Helen claims she was not informed of the addition to the home by George.

She did say that George’s wife Natalie Tricarico had spoken to her once about the building and that she was welcomed to paint the new fence if she wanted to brighten up the view from her window

Claims: Helen claims she was not informed of the addition to the home by George and his wife, Natalie Tricarico

Claims: Helen claims she was not informed of the addition to the home by George and his wife, Natalie Tricarico

Natalie told The Herald Sun on Monday: ‘We have also continued to ensure our neighbours who share a land boundary with us were kept informed of the progress of the construction works — as we were required to do — and those neighbours have expressed no issue with the construction or the process that took place.

Meanwhile, Helen – who describes the structure as an ‘eyesore’ – has lodged a complaint with the Victorian Building Authority. 

George will return for his tenth season of top-rating reality show, Masterchef, which is set to premiere next week.

Back on screens: George will return for his tenth season of top-rating reality show, Masterchef, which is set to premiere next week

Back on screens: George will return for his tenth season of top-rating reality show, Masterchef, which is set to premiere next week



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.