‘It’s a decision from the club and the player to sign a contract’: Mauricio Pochettino bizarrely distances himself from decision to hand Moussa Sissoko a new four-year deal at Tottenham
- Mauricio Pochettino took a bizarre stance when asked about Moussa Sissoko
- The Frenchman signed a new deal last week taking him through until 2023
- But Pochettino said it was ‘a decision from the club and the player’ to sign it
Mauricio Pochettino appeared to distance himself from the decision that to hand Moussa Sissoko a new four-year deal.
It was announced on Friday that the 30-year-old had agreed new terms taking him through until 2023, but speaking on Monday, Pochettino looked to suggest he was not involved in the process.
‘It’s a decision from the club and the player to sign a contract,’ Pochettino said, speaking ahead of facing Bayern Munich in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Mauricio Pochettino bizarrely distanced himself from decision to give Moussa Sissoko a deal
Sissoko joined the north London club in 2016 from Newcastle United but found life tough as he tried to establish himself.
But the Frenchman has had an impressive last 18 months and has become a regular under Pochettino, going on to make 132 appearances in all competitions since he arrived.
While he has primarily been involved in the attacking three behind Harry Kane, talk on Monday suggested Sissoko could be used in a defensive role against Bayern Munich.
The Frenchman agreed a new four-year deal on Friday to keep him at the club until 2023
For an hour against Southampton on Saturday, Sissoko deputised in the role and Toby Alderweireld believes he is capable of playing there.
‘He was wonderful, he knows what to do,’ Alderweirled said, as reported by the Evening Standard.
‘That’s quality, to play in a position that maybe he never played in before and then put in a performance like that. Of course, it helps as a team that everyone was coaching and helping and communicating, so that was important, but massive credit to him.’