News, Culture & Society

McDonald’s coronavirus cluster in Fawkner, Melbourne, DOUBLES overnight

McDonald’s coronavirus cluster DOUBLES overnight as three more people connected to a restaurant are diagnosed

  • Three more McDonald’s employees have tested positive for the coronavirus
  • The restaurant in Fawkner, Victoria now has six confirmed cases of COVID-19
  • The store underwent a deep clean as all 92 employees were tested as precaution
  • Another cluster is at Cedar Meats which has 85 positive COVID-19 cases
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

A coronavirus cluster at a McDonald’s restaurant has doubled in size overnight, with three more people testing positive for the deadly virus.

The new infections have been linked to the Fawkner fast foot outlet in Melbourne’s north.

The number could rise as test results for 92 workers continue to come back.

One employee worked at the store until May 8 before testing positive to COVID-19, The Herald Sun reported.

 

The fast food restaurant in Fawkner, Victoria closed on Saturday after two other employees were diagnosed with COVID-19 

McDonald’s has reopened the restaurant following a deep clean. 

It is being staffed by workers from surrounding outlets.  

The close contacts of those infected have been contacted and will be required to self-isolate for the next 14 days. 

The cluster comes after another outbreak in Melbourne when 85 members of staff tested positive at an abattoir called Cedar Meats.

Cedar Meats has also been closed, as Victoria increases testing throughout the state.  

An investigation into how the virus broke out at Cedar Meats is ongoing.

The cluster comes after another outbreak in Melbourne with Cedar Meats recording a total of 85 employees testing positive

The cluster comes after another outbreak in Melbourne with Cedar Meats recording a total of 85 employees testing positive 

A nurse takes a swab at one of Victoria's Mobile Testing Sites at Highpoint Shopping Centre in Melbourne this month.

A nurse takes a swab at one of Victoria’s Mobile Testing Sites at Highpoint Shopping Centre in Melbourne this month.

‘Today’s increase in cases illustrates once again that while we have been flattening the curve, our battle against COVID-19 is far from over,’ Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton said.

‘Victorians have done a remarkable job so far sticking to the coronavirus restrictions and staying at home has saved lives. But now is not the time for complacency.’

Another of the state’s latest coronavirus cases involves a returned traveller being quarantined at a hotel.

Victoria’s coronavirus count stands at 1514, with seven new cases confirmed on Wednesday. 

Victoria's Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton said the battle against COVID-19 is far from over

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton said the battle against COVID-19 is far from over

CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA: 6,972

New South Wales: 3,059

Victoria: 1,507

Queensland: 1,051

Western Australia: 553

South Australia: 439

Tasmania: 227

Australian Capital Territory: 107

Northern Territory: 29

TOTAL CASES: 6,972

RECOVERED: 6,230

DEAD: 98

Victorians started enjoying new freedoms on Wednesday as many parks, reserves, beaches and historic sites re-open for day trips.

People can also host up to five family members or friends at home.

Outdoor groups cannot be larger than 10, social-distancing must still be observed and overnight stays remain off the cards.

Major tourist drawcards including the Twelve Apostles are still closed.

Eased restrictions also mean weddings can have up to 10 guests and indoor funerals 20 mourners, as well as up to 30 outdoors.

Schools will also start going back from May 26, with all grade levels expected to be back in class from June 9. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.