News, Culture & Society

McDonald’s restaurant in Melbourne is closed after a SECOND worker tests positive for coronavirus

A McDonald’s restaurant has been forced to close after a second staff member tested positive for coronavirus.

The staff member at the Fawkner McDonald’s north of Melbourne was one of ten new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Victoria on Saturday, which has caused the restaurant to close for at least three days.

The new infection comes after a staff member from the same store was diagnosed with the deadly disease during the week.

The restaurant was allowed to stay open as the infected staff member last worked in the store on April 30 and wasn’t working while infected.

A McDonald’s Australia spokesperson confirmed to Daily Mail Australia the infected employee is self-isolating at home.

Fawkner McDonald’s north of Melbourne (pictured) has been forced to close for three days after two staff members were diagnosed with coronavirus

‘Out of an abundance of caution we have closed the Fawkner restaurant to conduct a deep clean, following confirmation a second employee has tested positive for COVID-19,’ the spokesperson said.

‘The employee last worked at the restaurant on Tuesday 5 May. We have spoken with the employee and confirm they are self-isolating at home with little to no symptoms.

‘We have communicated with all employees and continue to work collaboratively with the Department of Health.

‘The decision to deep clean the restaurant is a precautionary measure only and is over and above the Department’s requirements.’

A Department of Health and Human Services spokesperson told 7News the chances of contracting the disease through food or packaging in the store was minimal.

‘There is no evidence COVID-19 can be transmitted to people through food or packaging, and the risk of anyone visiting the McDonald’s contracting the virus is very low,’ the spokesperson said. 

A nurse performs a coronavirus test on a patient at a mobile testing site at Highpoint shopping centre on Monday

A nurse performs a coronavirus test on a patient at a mobile testing site at Highpoint shopping centre on Monday

The department recommended staff and those in close contact with the infected person should get themselves tested.

Seven workers and one manager from Fawkner McDonald’s were told to self-isolate for 14 days as a precaution after the first staff member tested positive for the disease.

CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA: 6,939

New South Wales: 3,053

Victoria: 1,487

Queensland: 1,045

Western Australia: 552

South Australia: 439

Tasmania: 227

Australian Capital Territory: 107

Northern Territory: 29

TOTAL CASES: 6,928

RECOVERED: 6,079

DEAD: 97

McDonald’s Australia confirmed in a statement the first infected employee is self-isolating at home.

‘There is no suggestion the employee was exposed to COVID-19 in the restaurant,’ the statement reads. 

The Victorian government’s COVID-19 testing blitz has seen more than 150,000 people undergo testing as the state waits for restrictions to ease.

Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said on Sunday there had been an increase of 10 coronavirus cases since Saturday, one of which is from the Cedar Meats outbreak and another a person currently quarantining in a hotel.

The 10 new cases brings Victoria’s total to 1487.

Ms Mikakos congratulated Victorians for getting tested in such large numbers, but gave no indication as to when restrictions would lift.

‘This pandemic is not over,’ she told reporters.

Ms Mikakos said through the testing blitz there were 20 cases that would potentially have gone unidentified given the lack of symptoms, and the tests would inform the easing of the lockdown.

Victoria Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said increased COVID-19 test numbers would allow for coronavirus restrictions to be lifted sooner

Victoria Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said increased COVID-19 test numbers would allow for coronavirus restrictions to be lifted sooner

‘That will enable us to consider some options and to make some important decisions about potentially lifting restrictions,’ she said.

The minister said the government would be making announcements on schools and other restriction measures on Monday and throughout the week.

The Sunday Herald Sun reported schools could be reopening by the end of the month, with years 11 and 12, and prep and grade one students the first to return, but Ms Mikakos did not confirm this was the case.

A protest was held on Sunday against the lockdown rules in Victoria, with dozens of people marching at Parliament House in Melbourne.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Friday revealed a plan for a gradual return to normal for the nation, but it is up to the states to implement the measures.

There are still only four reasons for Victorians to leave their home: food and supplies, medical care and care giving, exercise, and work or education.

More than 150,000 people have now been tested for coronavirus in Victoria. Pictured: a nurse takes a swab from a patient at the Highpoint shopping centre mobile testing facility on Monday

More than 150,000 people have now been tested for coronavirus in Victoria. Pictured: a nurse takes a swab from a patient at the Highpoint shopping centre mobile testing facility on Monday

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.