Father-of-two says his flesh ‘peeled back’ and he was badly burned when his iPhone ‘EXPLODED’
- Man is suing Apple for second-degree leg burns after his iPhone X exploded
- The Melbourne scientist said he heard a ‘fizz’ and felt ‘intense pain’ on his thigh
- He claims he tried to contact company but it ignored him, so now he is suing
- Another Victorian seeks damages because he says his Apple watch overheated
A University of Melbourne scientist suing tech conglomerate Apple said he suffered suffered second-degree burns to his leg when his iPhone exploded in his pocket.
Melbourne man Robert De Rose said he realised his one-year-old iPhone X was smouldering when he felt intense pain on his thigh while sitting in his office in 2019.
The father-of-two and another man are suing the tech giant for damages for separate incidents, as Mr De Rose alleged the company refused to respond to his complaint.
A University of Melbourne scientist suing tech conglomerate Apple said he suffered suffered second-degree burns to his leg when his iPhone X (pictured) exploded in his pocket
Melbourne man Robert De Rose (pictured) said he realised his one year old iPhone X was smouldering when he felt intense pain on his thigh while sitting in his office in 2019
Mr De Reosa said he heard the phone pop and fizz before feeling it crackle painfully on his thigh, and when he threw it away it continued to seethe.
‘I heard a faint pop sound, followed by a fizz and then I felt intense pain on my right leg, so I immediately jumped up and I realised it was my phone,’ Mr De Rose told Seven News.
‘So I reached into my pocket, grabbed it and threw it on the floor where it continued to fizz like a skyrocket,’ he said.
‘I had ash everywhere, and my skin had peeled back.’
The father of two and another man are suing the tech giant for damages for separate incidents. Pictured: The iPhone X Mr De Rosa said exploded in his pocket
The researcher (pictured) said he complained directly to Apple but received no response
The researcher claimed he complained directly to Apple but received no response.
He wanted to warn others who own the device that it can be dangerous.
Mr De Rose’s lawyer Tony Carbone said he has filed a lawsuit for another man who is claiming damages for a burnt wrist after his Apple Watch overheated.
Apple confirmed to Seven News the two incidents were being looked into, and said it took customer safety seriously.