News, Culture & Society

Melbourne vaccination hub is declared an exposure site as Victoria records 55 new cases

Melbourne vaccination hub is declared an exposure site as Victoria records 55 new Covid-19 cases with 50 kids forced into isolation after kindergarten teacher refused to get tested

  • Victoria records 55 new coronavirus cases on Friday morning
  • State has recorded consecutive days of positive results above 50
  • Thursday’s total of 57 was highest state’s seen since last year’s 112-day lockdown
  • Frankston Community Vaccination Hub listed as exposure site Friday 

A Melbourne vaccination hub remains open after a positive COVID case attended as Victoria records 55 new cases of coronavirus.

The infected person, who did not have symptoms at the time, attended the Frankston Community Vaccination Hub at Bayside Centre on Monday before testing positive on Thursday.

The Peninsula Health-run site has been declared a tier-two exposure site from 11.30am to 12.45pm on Monday, though remains open for those with a vaccination booking.

The news comes as Victorians brace for an extension of the current lockdown after the state recorded two-consecutive days of cases above 50.

Yesterday’s total of 57 was the highest daily figure since the 112-day lockdown the state was held in last year. 

Premier Dan Andrews is expected to address the state later this morning. 

A Melbourne vaccination hub remains open after a positive COVID case attended as Victoria records 55 new cases of coronavirus 

The infected person, who did not have symptoms at the time, attended the Frankston Community Vaccination Hub at Bayside Centre on Monday before testing positive on Thursday

The infected person, who did not have symptoms at the time, attended the Frankston Community Vaccination Hub at Bayside Centre on Monday before testing positive on Thursday

Mr Andrews says 38 of the 44 cases confirmed in isolation on Thursday were linked to the Al-Taqwa College outbreak, and with day 13 results set to come in the numbers will remain relatively high but not alarming.

‘The story that sits behind those numbers is in fact more important than the numbers alone,’ he said.

There were three mystery cases recorded Thursday that are the focus of the government’s contact tracing efforts.  

On Thursday, the state recorded the highest number of COVID-19 cases since last year’s deadly second wave after dozens of day-13 tests were returned from isolating close contacts.

About 3,000 primary close contacts left isolation on Wednesday, with 57 new cases reported on Thursday.

Mr Andrews says 38 of the 44 cases confirmed in isolation on Thursday were linked to the Al-Taqwa College outbreak

Mr Andrews says 38 of the 44 cases confirmed in isolation on Thursday were linked to the Al-Taqwa College outbreak

He said health authorities 'still have more work to do to get our arms around' where the virus has spread to, noting the next 14 days of lockdown will be crucial

He said health authorities ‘still have more work to do to get our arms around’ where the virus has spread to, noting the next 14 days of lockdown will be crucial

COVID Testing Commander Jeroen Weimar warned the number could be high again on Friday, with the figure eventually totalling 55.

‘Two thousand people are expected to leave (isolation) today, so I’d expect to see a fairly significant number of people who will test positive on day 13,’ he told ABC Radio Melbourne on Thursday night.

He said health authorities ‘still have more work to do to get our arms around’ where the virus has spread to, noting the next 14 days of lockdown will be crucial.

‘We’ve got 14 really valuable, really precious, really expensive days that we want to make the most of,’ Mr Weimar said.

‘We’re determined to get to the bottom of every case.’

COVID Testing Commander Jeroen Weimar had warned that number could be high again on Friday

COVID Testing Commander Jeroen Weimar had warned that number could be high again on Friday

Mystery cases remain a source of concern, with three unlinked cases reported on Thursday in Glenroy, Ascot Vale and Doncaster.

St Kilda is Melbourne’s most active cluster, with 18 cases linked to the beachside suburb in recent days, but health authorities are also focusing efforts on Altona, Sunshine West and Doncaster.

There are more than 530 exposure sites in Victoria, with a number of new sites added in Ashburton, Altona North and Newport on Thursday evening.

Melbourne is just over two weeks into its sixth lockdown, which has been extended until September 2.



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk