Plans for a touching memorial for the six children who died in the Tasmanian jumping castle tragedy will ensure the young victims will never be forgotten, council officials have announced.
Six students at the Hillcrest Primary School in Devonport lost their lives after falling 10 metres from a bouncy castle blown into the air by a freak gust of wind during end of year celebrations on December 16.
The tragic accident, which happened just days before Christmas, has left a tight-knit community in mourning and six Tasmanian families broken.
An endless flow of tributes including stuffed toys, flowers, handmade posters and notes have been left outside the primary school since the freak accident.
The Devonport Council announced the touching tributes will be collected on Friday to be included in a permanent memorial site for the Year Six children.
The Devonport Council announced the touching tributes left outside the school (pictured) will be collected on Friday to be included in a permanent memorial site for the six children
‘Council will ensure these tributes are stored safely and will work with the family members, and the Hillcrest school community, to create a permanent memorial for the young lives that were taken too early,’ general manager Matthew Atkins said.
Mr Atkins said tributes left after Friday would also be collected and thanked those across Tasmania and the rest of the nation for their thoughtful gifts and messages.
‘Thank you to our community who are continuing to support our most impacted families,’ he said.
Jye Sheehan, 12, Addison Stewart, 11, Zane Mellor, 12, Jalailah Jayne-Maree Jones, 12, Peter Dodt, 12, and Chace Harrison, 11, were celebrating their last day of primary school when the disaster unfolded on campus.
Two surviving victims who were fighting for life in hospital were moved out of the intensive care unit on Thursday after spending a week in a critical condition.
An endless flow of tributes including stuffed toys, flowers, handmade posters and notes have been left outside the primary school since the freak accident (pictured)
Zane Mellor, 12, Peter Dodt, Addison Stewart, Chace Harrison, and Jalailah Jayne-Maree Jones (pictured left to right) were also killed when a freak gust of wind blew the inflatable 10 metres into the air
Both are recovering from a suite of injuries, including blunt force trauma, multiple broken bones, and internal injuries and are now stable at Royal Hobart Hospital.
Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein on Thursday confirmed two other children injured in the tragedy were in a stable condition.
‘I’m certain that all Tasmanians will join me in sending their thoughts and wishes to their families at this time at what is no doubt a very difficult set of circumstances,’ Mr Gutwein said.
‘But it’s pleasing and I know that we are all very thankful that they are out of ICU and are in a much better condition.’
Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein on Thursday confirmed two other children injured in the tragedy were in a stable condition (pictured, emergency personnel at the scene)
Beau Medcraft, the ninth child thrown from the airborne inflatable, is recovering home after being discharged from hospital last week (pictured, emergency responders at the scene)
Beau Medcraft, the ninth child thrown from the airborne inflatable, is recovering home after being discharged from hospital last week.
The funeral for Jalailah Jayne-Maree Jones was held at local parish Church of Christ on Wednesday as loved ones said goodbye to their ‘beautiful’ girl.
A service for Zane Mellor took place at Devonport’s Mersey Gardens Chapel on Thursday, where hundreds of mourners farewelled the ‘adventurous’ boy.
His small blue casket was decorated with PlayStation equipment and a poster of his favourite game in tribute to his love of gaming.
WorkSafe Tasmania and Tasmanian Police will continue their investigations into the Hillcrest Primary School tragedy and provide reports to the Coroner.