The identity of the police officers who decided against launching an inquiry into Virginia Roberts sex trafficking allegations can be revealed today.
Two senior Metropolitan Police chiefs ruled out a full blown investigation into her claims that she was brought to the UK as a teenager to have sex with Prince Andrew.
Assistant Commissioner Dean Haydon made the initial decision to shelve the complaint by Miss Roberts – now Giuffre – in 2015. At the time he was the commander in charge of specialist crime investigations.
A review of the decision not to pursue the claims, which the Met confirmed in August had been carried out, was made by Alex Murray, now the Met Police Commander for Specialist Crime.
Assistant Commissioner Dean Haydon (left) made the initial decision to shelve the complaint by Miss Roberts in 2015. A review of the decision not to pursue the claims, which the Met confirmed in August had been carried out, was made by Alex Murray (right) now the Met Police Commander for Specialist Crime
Prince Andrew, Virginia Roberts, aged 17, and Ghislaine Maxwell at Ghislaine Maxwell’s townhouse in London, on March 13 2001
The names of the two officers has been revealed in a Freedom of Information request to the Metropolitan Police.
Scotland Yard is coming under mounting pressure to explain why it failed to carry out a probe into the bombshell allegations made four years ago by Miss Roberts.
She claims that at 17-years-old she was flown to London by paedophile Epstein and coerced into having sex with the Duke.
Virginia Roberts, pictured just days ago, is set to to appear on BBC Panorama on Monday next week
It was claimed the incident took place at the Kensington town house of Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s former lover and a close friend of the Duke.
Epstein killed himself in his US prison cell in August while awaiting trial for new sex offences.
A photograph appeared to show him with his arm around Ms Roberts-Giuffre, while Miss Maxwell looked on in the background.
The decision was also made at time when the Met adhered to national policy stipulating that ‘victims must be believed’, introduced in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.
Earlier this week it was reported that the Victims Commissioner demanded Scotland Yard explain why it made the decision.
Dame Vera Baird QC, a former solicitor general, is said to have expressed concerns about how detectives handled the allegations.
Former Labour MP Dame Vera raised her concerns about the Prince Andrew case with a victims’ rights campaigner.
Harry Fletcher, director of the Victims Rights Campaign, told The Observer she told him she would be requesting a meeting with the Met after the election on December 12.
The Duke of York was pictured for the first time after his Newsnight interview, leaving Buckingham Palace on November 21
Mr Fletcher said: ‘Before the election was called, I spoke at length with the Victims’ Commissioner and we both find it extraordinary that this matter was not proceeded with.’
He added that it needed to be established whether the Crown Prosecution Service provided ‘pre-investigative advice’ to detectives before the case was dropped.
Dame Vera (pictured) is said to have concerns about the lack of an investigation
Scotland Yard’s handling of her claims is expected to form a key part of a BBC Panorama investigation into the Epstein scandal due to be broadcast on December 2, which will include an interview with Miss Roberts.
Earlier this week Miss Roberts herself criticised Scotland Yard for failing to investigate her allegations.
The 35-year-old said that the UK inquiry was abandoned because of ‘corruption’ at the highest level.
She wrote on Twitter: ‘At first the Scotland Yard told me they were going to forensically examine GM’s house in London- next thing I hear, just like the FBI, they were not allowed to pursue the investigation.
‘Corruption in the highest levels of gov.’
She said she did not believe the truth would ever be heard, adding: ‘I say lock em’ all up & throw away the key! All we’re going to hear are lies, lies & oh- more lies!
‘Keep putting pressure on the authorities to hold each and everyone who participated, enabled or knew & did nothing accountable.
Ms Giuffre has claimed in court papers in Florida that she was forced to have sex with Andrew when she was aged 17, under the state’s age of consent
‘No more charades, or games-time to start locking all the predators up!! They put us in chains now it’s their turn.’
Prince Andrew denies having sex with her and in his interview with BBC Newsnight earlier this month said he did not recall having ever met Miss Roberts.
Scotland Yard has confirmed it had received an allegation of ‘non-recent’ trafficking for sexual exploitation.
‘Having closely examined the available evidence, the decision was made that this would not progress to a full investigation,’ the Met said.
Given the profile of the case, the force said that it had reviewed the decision and concluded it was correct.