Mexican corn and black bean rice with smashed avocado
Keep being adventurous with added spices and textures if you want to grow your very own little foodie.
MAKES 1 ADULT AND 1 CHILD PORTION
Keep being adventurous with added spices and textures if you want to grow your very own little foodie
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
250g pouch of cooked brown or white rice
1 ripe beef tomato, diced
juice of 1 lime, plus slices of lime to serve (optional)
200g tinned black beans, drained and rinsed
80g tin of sweetcorn
small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
1 small avocado, plus extra slices to serve (optional)
dollop of yogurt, to serve
- Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, cumin and smoked paprika. Sauté for a couple of minutes until soft.
- Microwave the rice according to the packet instructions and add to the frying pan along with the remaining ingredients except the avocado, cheese and yogurt.
- Peel the avocado, remove the flesh, then mash with a fork in a small bowl.
- Serve the rice mixture with the avocado, a sprinkling of cheese and some yogurt. Add another few slices of avocado if you like.
- This will keep for up to two days covered in the fridge.