Michael Douglas says he’s ‘extremely disappointed’ after his former assistant accused him of masturbating in front of her
- Michael Douglas opened up about sexual harassment allegations against him
- The 74-year-old said he was ‘extremely disappointed’ in the ‘false’ reporting
- A former employee alleged Michael masturbated in front of her 30 years ago
- The actor has vehemently denied the claims calling them ‘lies’
Michael Douglas is addressing the sexual harassment allegations made against him earlier this year.
‘I was extremely, extremely disappointed in The Hollywood Reporter which has been having a crusade in this area,’ in an interview on the TBD with Tina Brown podcast, airing on December 11.
Douglas was accused of masturbating in front of author and journalist Susan Braudy in 1989, when she worked as Douglas’s assistant.
‘Now, the way this generally works is, somebody makes a charge and then they – if they are responsible – reach out as they did to every person I worked with over 25 years – and they did, because everybody got back to me and there was nobody that ever complemented that accusation,’ the actor said during the podcast. ‘So I thought it was really a misuse of power. Very disappointed.’
Michael Douglas opened up about sexual harassment allegations against him. The 74-year-old said he was ‘extremely disappointed’ in the ‘false’ reporting
Douglas says he’s now moving on from the situation, saying it’s ‘all in the past’, but adding ‘it’s the way it goes.’
Douglas was accused of masturbating in front of author and journalist Susan Braudy in 1989, when she worked as Douglas’s assistant
At the time Braudy first went public in the Hollywood Reporter, Douglas told the publication: ‘I’d confess to anything I thought I was responsible for.
‘And it was most certainly not masturbating in front of this woman. This reeks. I would have respected if she had reached out to me any time over these years, to share her pain or concerns, and I would have been the first one to respond. But this, going directly to the newspapers or whatever you want to call them, it just reeks of something else.’
Braudy claimed that during a one-on-one script meeting at Douglas’ New York apartment to discuss a character similar to ET, Braudy said the actor slid off the chair he was sitting in onto the floor, unzipped his pants and began masturbating.
In January, Michael decided to come forward himself with the allegations, after being approached by the Hollywood Reporter.
The Wall Street star revealed he was approached about the allegations just before Christmas – and on the same day his son Dylan, 18, was accepted to college.
He has expressed how the allegations have impacted family – wife Catherine Zeta-Jones and their two teenage children.
Catherine Zeta-Jones explained how she had confronted Michael about the allegations while their children Dylan, 18, and Carys, 15, (above with their parents in 2015) were in the room
His wife has stood by his side, and says she believes her husbands innocence
Speaking about the allegations, Catherine told the Sunday Times Magazine last month: ‘My children and I were profoundly devastated by those allegations. And I was torn about where my absolute morals lie.
‘This woman came out of nowhere and accused my husband. I had a very big conversation with him, with the kids in the room, and said, ‘Do you understand if more comes out…’
Explaining how Michael had reassured the family about the claims, she said: ‘By telling us that there is no story here and that time will tell. And, of course, it did.
There was nothing to back it up at all. For any accusation that comes out that isn’t backed up, that knocks the movement back 20 years.’