A handful of big money transfers this summer have been thrown into doubt after agent Mino Raiola was handed a worldwide transfer ban on Friday night.
The Italian-born Dutchman was slapped with a three-month ban which stops him from dealing with any transfer business across the globe and is set to run until August 9 – the day after the Premier League transfer window closes.
The 51-year-old represents the likes of Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba and Ajax starlet Matthijs de Ligt, both of whom have been linked with mega transfers this summer.
With a number of deals involving big name players across Europe now in danger of collapsing, Sportsmail looks at some of Raiola’s biggest clients and what his suspension could mean for their futures.
A handful of big money transfers have been thrown into doubt after agent Mino Raiola’s ban
The Frenchman has been linked with a big money move to Real Madrid this summer as he continues to be linked with a move away from Manchester United.
Pogba has been agitating for a move away for a while and initially wished to join Real’s rivals Barcelona last summer after Raiola had negotiated a move to the Nou Camp, only for United chief Ed Woodward to refuse to consider selling.
Real are hoping to offer around £100m for Pogba as manager Zinedine Zidane looks to overhaul his squad. Chelsea talisman Eden Hazard is another target hence why they can’t afford Pogba at £160m – especially if they struggle to sell unwanted players such as James Rodriguez, Isco and Gareth Bale.
However, that is unlikely to wash with the Red Devils with Pogba contracted for another two years and the club having an option to extend his deal by another 12 months to June 2022.
Paul Pogba’s dream move to Real Madrid could collapse after his agent was handed a ban
There is expected to be another shake-up in personnel at Paris Saint-Germain following another disappointing season in the Champions League.
Italian midfielder Verratti is expected to stay though with the French giants wary of losing his quality and experience in midfield. There have been links with a move to Barcelona but those have faded away.
‘Yes, I’m staying in Paris,’ he said last month. ‘If nothing happens and the club doesn’t want to dump me, I will be playing here next year.’
Italian midfielder Verratti is expected to stay at PSG as they chase the Champions League
Matthijs de Ligt
De Ligt had been set to join Barcelona for £60m this summer but the defender’s move from Ajax is now at risk following the latest developments regarding Raiola.
The Ajax captain, still only 19, has emerged as one of the finest prospects in European football having led the Dutch side to within seconds of the Champions League final.
Barcelona are believed to have beaten the likes of Manchester United to his signature, but De Ligt’s impending move to Catalonia is now in trouble.
‘I think these will be De Ligt’s final games with Ajax,’ Ajax chief executive Edwin Van der Sar said after their defeat by Spurs on Wednesday night. ‘I think he’ll go to England or Spain.’
De Ligt had been set to join Barcelona for £60m but the defender’s move is now at risk
There was a time when Donnarumma was the enemy of all AC Milan fans as he jostled for a move away from the club.
After winning back the love of the club’s fiery ultras though, Donnarumma could break their hearts once again with reports in Italy suggesting he will ask to leave if they fail to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Donnarumma was fast-tracked to the first team at just 15 and made his debut in October 2015, when he was 16. He has gone on to make 161 appearances, keeping 56 clean sheets.
Milan are currently three points behind fourth-placed Atalanta with three games left to play.
Gianluigi Donnarumma may ask to leave if AC Milan don’t qualify for the Champions League
The Greek defender was reportedly added to Manchester United’s list of transfer targets earlier this year.
The 27-year-old reportedly has a £30.5m clause in his contract although it only becomes active in the summer.
Former manager Jose Mourinho had been desperate to sign a central defender during the final months of his tumultuous reign and it is an area that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is expected to address in the coming months.
Manolas joined Roma in 2014 and has developed into one of the world’s leading centre backs. He has made 205 appearances for the capital club but may see any chance of leaving this summer fade away now thanks to Raiola.
Kostas Manolas has a £30.5m clause in his contract although it only activates in the summer
The powerful French midfielder is out of contract at Juventus next summer so this year will present a final chance for the club to make some money on Matuidi or risk losing him on a free in 12 months.
At the age of 32, the Frenchman could be one to move on as Juve look to strengthen their squad as they look to mount a Champions League challenge next season.
Matuidi has been a dominant force at club level with PSG and Juve but he been unable to make the difference on the biggest stage for both clubs.
He has made 40 appearances this season, indicating Max Allegri values him highly and will probably keep him around Turin.
Blaise Matuidi has made 40 appearances for Juventus this season, indicating he is a key man
Arsenal cannot afford to let go one of their important attacking midfielders this summer, given Unai Emery does not have much of a transfer budget to work with.
Similarly to his spell at Manchester United, Mkhitaryan has done okay for the Gunners without really impressing.
The 30-year-old has scored six and contribute seven assists this season in 38 appearances and it is unlikely that Emery will want to lose him this summer.
Mkhitaryan looks likely to be unaffected by Raiola’s off-field issues.
Arsenal cannot afford to let Henrikh Mkhitaryan this summer with their low transfer budget
The former Manchester City and Liverpool striker always seems to be linked with a transfer but may see his relocation plans scuppered by Raiola this summer.
He only joined Marseille in January from Nice and will hopefully be content with staying put for another year or so.
Still only 28, the Italian has impressed since moving to the Stade Velodrome, scoring eight goals in 13 games to help them into contention for the Europa League next season.
Mario Balotelli only joined Marseille in January and looks likely to stay put after impressing
The Italian has burst onto the scene in recent months, scoring some vital goals as Juventus claimed an eighth-consecutive Serie A title.
He has impressed so much that Juve reportedly want to extend his contract until 2024 as they look to tie-down the ‘new Cristiano Ronaldo’.
The 19-year-old, who has notched seven goals in 15 appearances this season, has just over a year left on his current deal at the Serie A leaders.
His contract is set to expire in June 2020 and as a result Juventus are looking to agree an extension with the forward, according to Italian newspaper Tuttosport. He shouldn’t feel the effects of Raiola’s ban.
Juve reportedly want to extend Moise Kean’s contract until 2024 as they look to tie him down
Kluivert, the son of Dutch legend Patrick, only joined Roma from Ajax last season and looks set to stay put for a few more years.
The pacey winger has struggled in his debut Serie A campaign and has been unable to win a regular starting place at the Stadio Olimpico so far.
Kluivert has featured in 33 games in all competitions but has seen his debut campaign overshadowed by fellow teenage sensation Nicolo Zaniolo.
It would be harsh to move the Dutchman on after just one season and he is expected to be given another chance with a new manager expected to be hired sooner rather than later.
Justin Kluivert has been unable to win a regular starting place at the Stadio Olimpico so far