A petting zoo has been found guilty of animal cruelty and fined $20,000 after a goat was found dead at a children’s birthday party last year.
The baby goat, which was less than six months old, is believed to have died while in its pen at a Kindifarm party when it was discovered by an off-duty RSPCA inspector.
The horrified man, who was attending the party with his daughter, notified a Kindifarm employee, who placed the dead animal into a van before calling the RSPCA, The Daily Telegraph reported.
A mobile petting zoo has been found guilty of animal cruelty and fined $20,000 after a goat (pictured) was found dead at a children’s birthday party last year
The father took photographs of the terrible conditions, which showed animals allegedly cramped in pens, or running lose and unsupervised.
The mobile petting zoo is one of a few movable menageries, which according to the company’s website, ‘provides petting zoo hire for all occasions’.
The website also claims that the standard of care for its animals – which includes piglets, calves, lambs, goats, sheep, baby chickens, ducks, rabbits and guinea pigs – has a grade A rating.
The report also found that dead baby goat had a large number of parasite eggs on its body at the time of death as well.
The mobile petting zoo (pictured) is one of a few movable menageries, which according to the company’s website, ‘provides petting zoo hire for all occasions’
It’s not the first time the mobile petting zoo has been investigated for substandard care of animals, however, with the recent charges representing its third accusation.
The publication previously reported that a number of other Kindifarm animals – including ducks, lambs and goats – were found severely malnourished and riddled with infections in 2017.
One goat was allegedly found so emaciated and distressed as a result of untreated lung and intestinal infections that RSPCA inspectors were forced to euthanise it.
‘The goat being in such a physical condition it was cruel to keep it alive,’ the Telegraph reported from court papers.
The website also claims that the standard of care for its animals (pictured) has a grade A rating
A Kindifarm spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia the company is ‘deeply saddened by the death of a goat in our care.’
‘As illustrated in court documents, several independent experts who examined the goat agree the death was sudden and most likely caused by Coccidial disease which shows no clinical signs before it is fatal.’
‘As there was no indication of sickness and the death was sudden, sadly, it could not be prevented.’
‘It should be noted that that prosecution withdrew 11 of its offences. Regarding the one remaining offence, faced with a choice between a ten-day court case that would cause significant financial hardship for the company or pleading guilty; Kindifarm chose the latter.’
‘Kindifarm appreciate the ongoing support of our customers and remains fully committed to providing the very best care for our animals,’ the spokesperson said.