Mom, 27, killed in Brazil by a chocolate spiked with PESTICIDES given to her by a palm reader who warned her she only had ‘a few days to live’
- Fernanda Silva died after eating a chocolate gifted to her by an elderly woman who presented her as a fortune teller on a street in Brazil
- The 27-year-old mother fell sick at home after she had the candy August 3 and died at a local hospital the following day
- An autopsy report released last Wednesday showed the chocolate was laced with sulfotep, a pesticide, and terbudos, a chemical found in pesticides
A 27-year-old mom was killed in Brazil when she at a chocolate spiked with pesticides given to her by a palm reader who warned her she only had ‘a few days to live’
Fernanda Silva, 27, died August 4, a day after she accepted a candy on a street from an elderly woman who introduced herself as a fortune teller and told her she was soon going to die.
Silva ate the chocolate and fell sick at her home after she had returned from paying a bill, her cousin, Bianca Cristina, told G1 news outlet.
She recalled that Silva’s vision became impaired for a couple of hours and felt better the following day.
Police in the Brazilian city of Maceió are investigating the death of Fernanda Silva as a homicide after the 27-year-old mother died August 4, a day after she ate a chocolate that was given to her by an elderly woman who presented herself as fortune teller on a street and told her she would soon die
An autopsy report revealed that Fernanda Silva at a chocolate that was poisoned with sulfotep, a pesticide, and terbufos, a chemical found in pesticides
The family initially thought she was dealing with another bout of gastritis and ulcers, which she had previously been diagnosed with. But they became worried as she vomited, bled from the nose and foamed at the mouth, her aunt Maria Gomes told Globo.
A family member rushed her to Santa Casa de Misericordia Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
‘As the (chocolate) was packaged, it didn’t occur to her (that it could pose any danger),’ Bianca Cristina said. ‘And as she was hunger, she decided to eat it.’
The autopsy report, which was released last Wednesday, showed that the candy was laced a ‘high concentration’ of sulfotep and terbufos.
Fernanda Silva, who died August 4 after eating a poisoned chocolate, leaves behind a nine-year-old daughter with special needs
Sulfotep is a pesticide that is used in greenhouses to fumigate. Terbufos a chemical found in pesticides.
Both are easily accessible in Brazil, although the medical examiner said they have not been found in people who had died over the last five years.
Texts messages obtained by Brazilian media outlets revealed Silva told a family member: ‘Can you believe that just now I went to wash and hang Mel’s clothes, and I felt so dizzy?’
She then texted lost her balance and almost crashed to the ground.
‘I leant on the water tank. I almost fell. I almost met God,’ Silva wrote. ‘I don’t know why I’m like this, sis. I’ve been feeling bad all day.’
She claimed that she accepted the candy from the alleged fortune teller because ‘she was an old lady. I ate it because it was well sealed, right? But I’ve been feeling so weak since then.
‘My heart is racing. I’ve thrown up. But I have this taste in my mouth. So bitter. Bad. My vision is blurry. I’m so weak.’
Silva’s cousin, Lumenita Valoz, was confused as to why anyone would want to kill the mother of a nine-year-old girl with special needs and who didn’t have any enemies.
‘I just know that Fernanda wasn’t a person involved I parties, chaos, anything like that,’ Valoz said. ‘I don’t see anyone having a reason to do this to her, but we don’t know anyone’s heart. If it was someone who ordered the killing or if the (fortune teller) killed her because she wanted to, only the police will find out.’
The Civil Police’s homicide squad is investigating Silva’s death, but have not made any arrests.