News, Culture & Society

Monkey rescued after suffering horrific burns from power cables, burning off fur and leaving blind 

Monkey is rescued after suffering horrific burns from power cables, burning off its fur and leaving it blind

  • The monkey climbed along a power line before an explosion in Thailand
  • He was flung to the ground in a ball of flames leaving him with severe burns
  • The creature was also blinded but vets hope his eyesight will return 

A monkey suffered horrific burns and lost its sight after being electrocuted by a high voltage power cable in Thailand.

Heartbreaking footage shows the distressed animal being treated by vets after he was engulfed by flames.

The monkey climbed along an overhead power line before interfering with a transformer box at the top of a post on January 3 in Ratchaburi province causing an explosion. 

He was flung to the ground in a ball of flames leaving him with severe burns and a disfigured face.

Vets from the country’s Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation were filmed caring for the creature. 

Heartbreaking footage shows the distressed animal being treated by vets after it was engulfed by flames

The monkey had climbed along an overhead power line before interfering with a transformer box causing an explosion

The monkey had climbed along an overhead power line before interfering with a transformer box causing an explosion

Vets from the country's Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation were filmed caring for the creature

Vets from the country’s Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation were filmed caring for the creature

Footage shows Dr Patarapol Maneeorn giving the monkey water through a syringe and being injected with antibiotics.

The vet said: ‘The pain that the monkey has been through is like extreme torture. 

‘His face is swollen and there are wounds on his whole body. 

‘We have used antibiotics to prevent infections and dressed the wounds. The monkey has also been eating some mashed bananas and honey.

‘The team has been nursing him every day. He is recovering well.’ 

He said that locals heard a large explosion and saw a ball of sparks and flames which engulfed the monkey. 

The burns to the monkey’s face are so severe he has lost sight in both eyes. 

But medics hope his eyesight could return when he has recovered. 

Footage shows Dr Patarapol Maneeorn giving the monkey water through a syringe and being injected with antibiotics

Footage shows Dr Patarapol Maneeorn giving the monkey water through a syringe and being injected with antibiotics

Footage shows Dr Patarapol Maneeorn giving the monkey water through a syringe and being injected with antibiotics

Footage shows Dr Patarapol Maneeorn giving the monkey water through a syringe and being injected with antibiotics

They have removed the dead layers of skin and applied topical solution to ease the pain twice a day. 

Sterilising gel has also been applied to the exposed wounds to prevent infections. 

The monkey has been hand fed because the wounds around his mouth and his bandaged hands make it difficult for him to eat. 

The vet added: ‘The monkey is such a great fighter, he will get well soon. Even with such severe injuries, there is no breaking his spirit.’ 

‘It’s important to treat the life of any animal, no matter how small or how sick, the same and give them the care and attention they deserve.’

The burns to the monkey's face are so severe he has lost sight in both eyes

The burns to the monkey’s face are so severe he has lost sight in both eyes

Vets hope his eyesight will return overtime after the electrical explosion left him blind in both eyes and severely burned

Vets hope his eyesight will return overtime after the electrical explosion left him blind in both eyes and severely burned

Vets from the country's Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation were filmed caring for the creature

Vets from the country’s Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation were filmed caring for the creature

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.