Mother blasts school over son, 13, with severe allergy who died after cheese put down his collar

Karanbir Cheema, known as Karan, was 13 when he died in July 2017, 10 days after he fell unconscious after the cheese was flicked at his neck while on a break at his school in Greenford, West London

The school where a teenager died after a classmate flicked a slice of cheese at his neck failed to properly educate pupils about the ‘grave consequences’ of his allergy, a coroner has ruled.

Karanbir Cheema, known as Karan, was 13 when he died in July 2017, ten days after he fell unconscious when cheese was thrown at him during break time at William Perkin Church of England High School in Greenford, West London.    

Senior coroner Mary Hassell recorded a narrative conclusion into his death and said the main factor was his severe allergy.

Ms Hassell added the pupil who flicked the cheese did not mean any harm and ‘all of the evidence point to the cheese being responsible for Karanbir’s death.’

However, Ms Hassell said Karan’s school did not properly educate pupils about the ‘grave consequences’ of his allergies, and that the school’s healthcare provision was inadequate.    

She said: ‘Karanbir’s school did not have an effective system for educating its pupils in the dangers of allergies.’

His mother Rina spoke out as the coronor at St Pancras coroner’s court today said Karan’s school failed to properly educate their students.

Rina Cheema told MailOnline: ‘My world has ended. He was my only son.

‘The whole family, his grandad, his brothers and sisters, his uncles and aunts all love him. He was the star of the show.

His mother Rina spoke out as the coronor at St Pancras coroner's court today said Karan's school failed to properly educate their students

His mother Rina spoke out as the coronor at St Pancras coroner’s court today said Karan’s school failed to properly educate their students

William Perkin Church of England High School in Greenford, West London, did not properly educate pupils about the 'grave consequences' of his allergies, according to Senior coroner Mary Hassell

William Perkin Church of England High School in Greenford, West London, did not properly educate pupils about the ‘grave consequences’ of his allergies, according to Senior coroner Mary Hassell

‘I think it will help a lot of children out there if whatever happened to our son the schools, all the institutions, the hospitals, the paramedics were made aware of how serious allergies are.

‘His school had not done enough to save our son, that says it all.’ 

Paramedics were told on the phone that it was ‘just an allergic reaction’ but when they arrived Karan was ‘gasping for air’ and had broken out in hives.

The staff had already administered two spoons of piriton, an epipen and given him his inhaler but shortly after paramedics arrived Karan stopped breathing.

The first two paramedics began to perform CPR on him, gave him adrenaline and used a defibrillator while they waited for support to arrive.

Karan has been described as ‘so bright he could have been anything he wanted’ by his family, who were left devastated by his death.

Karanbir Cheema, known as Karan, was 13 when he died in July 2017, 10 days after he fell unconscious after the cheese was flicked at his neck while on a break at his school in Greenford, West London

Karanbir Cheema, known as Karan, was 13 when he died in July 2017, 10 days after he fell unconscious after the cheese was flicked at his neck while on a break at his school in Greenford, West London

Karan’s father Amarjeet said: ‘Karanbir was a bright and handsome young boy with so much to look forward to.

‘He was a very kind, gentle and intelligent boy who brought immense happiness and joy to our lives. 

‘Not a day goes by without remembering him, without him being mentioned by our family and friends. 

‘To his little brother Samarbir he was a devoted big brother and a best friend.’  

Karan was also severely allergic to wheat, gluten, eggs and nuts and suffered from asthma and atopic eczema.

Karan (pictured in a family photo) was also severely allergic to wheat, gluten, eggs and nuts and suffered from asthma and atopic eczema

Karan (pictured in a family photo) was also severely allergic to wheat, gluten, eggs and nuts and suffered from asthma and atopic eczema

The boy who threw the cheese claimed he didn’t know that Karan could die from an allergic reaction and assumed he would break out in a ‘rash or a fever’.

Mr Cheema continued: ‘Karan was taken away from us in tragic circumstances, with a catalogue of errors surrounding his death. 

‘We still continue to struggle to understand the complex legal and medical issues surrounding this case.

‘Karan’s death has left us with a hole that will never be filled. The sorrow and sadness of losing Karan is so palpable and fresh it seems we will never be able to overcome it. 

‘As we continue to grieve for him endlessly, it’s really impossible to explain his losses suffered.’

And he added: ‘As the inquest has concluded today, we hope some good will come out of it and lessons will be learnt. 

‘The recommendations of the Coroner, reiterated time and again, should be implemented so no parents ever suffer the way we did. 

‘As Sikhs, we pray bless Karan’s soul to rest in peace forever.’ 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk