News, Culture & Society

Mum reminds parents why they should know first aid after her baby suffered a nasty burn at a café

The warning ALL parents need to read: Baby is left with second degree burns from an accident at a café and NO ONE knew how to help

  • A mum has told of how her daughter suffered a nasty burn after an accident
  • She said waitresses spilled hot coffee on her one-year-old’s back at a café
  • No staff knew what to do nor had somewhere to run the burn under cold water 
  • The quick thinking mum asked for jugs of cool water and called triple zero
  • She reminded parents about the importance of knowing first aid 

A one-year-old was left with a nasty burn after café staff spilt coffee on her and didn’t know first aid. 

Thankfully, the quick-thinking mum knew exactly what to do and asked the waiters to get cold jugs of water to treat the burn. 

She shared the horrifying ordeal anonymously to Tiny Hearts Education and warned parents to make sure they know how to treat burns in case of a similar emergency. 

A one-year-old was left with a nasty burn after café staff spilt coffee on her and didn’t know first aid 

In a message to the parents education group, the mum said she was visiting a café when two waitresses collided and dropped a hot coffee next to her daughter who was in a high chair. 

The scalding coffee splashed on the young child’s back she sustained second-degree burns. 

‘Unfortunately the café didn’t appear to have anyone trained in first aid, and could not offer a suitable place for me to treat the burn with running water,’ she said. 

She said the café staff didn't know what to do about the burn so the quick thinking mum asked for cold jugs of water and called triple zero

The mum, who had been trained in first aid herself, was thankful when paramedics were nearby and used a drip to treat the toddler's burn

She said the café staff didn’t know what to do about the burn so the quick thinking mum asked for cold jugs of water and called triple zero

‘When I realised the staff weren’t able to assist, I called 000, who suggested that I ask the staff to provide jugs of cool water to run over her while I waited for paramedics to arrive.’

The mum, who had been trained in first aid herself, was thankful when paramedics were nearby and used a drip to treat the toddler’s burn. 

‘I was pretty shocked to be in a position where I felt I couldn’t treat/help my daughter, despite knowing what to do having been first aid trained myself,’ she said. 

‘I often see café staff pass hot beverages over young children or leave them within arm’s reach.’ 

Burns 101: What to do when your child suffers a burn

1. Remove clothing or jewellery near the burn: The first thing you need to do is remove any clothing, jewellery, or nappies around the burn unless its stuck to the skin, then you need to leave in place and cool over the top. 

2. Cool the burn: Hold the child’s burned area under cool running tap water for 20 minutes. We need to remember, we are only cooling the area that is burned – keep the rest of your child warm. If you don’t have cool running water immediately available, this can still be effective up to three hours after the burn injury.

3. Cover the burn: The next thing you need to do is cover the burn loosely with a clean wet cloth or towel or a non stick dressing preferably something that’s not shedding fibers. 

4. Don’t use lotions, creams or home remedies: Don’t apply any lotions creams, butter, egg whites or any home remedies because not only can that trap the heat on the skin but the doctors aren’t able to treat the burn effectively and it will have to be removed off the burn. 

5. Seek medical attention: Call for an ambulance if the burn is extensive, if your child had burns to the face, neck or chest, if you cannot safely transport them to hospital because of where the burn is, if they have extreme pain or if there’s risk of any burn to their airways. Or even if you are unsure and don’t know what to do. Any burn in a child where the skin has been disrupted, so where the skin has come away or there is blistering, needs to be seen medically.  

Source: Sarah Hunstead – CPR Kids 

She said she wanted to share her ‘awful experience’ with other parents so they could educate themselves on what to do in these emergency situations.

The woman said the burn could have been far more severe had she not attended Tiny Heart’s first aid training or called triple zero. 

Former paramedics and founder of Tiny Hearts Education Nikki Jurcutz reminded parents first aid training is a ‘must have’ and that other people can’t be relied upon to know what to do in an emergency. 

‘Sometimes, there won’t be anyone else. Equip yourself with the skills and knowledge you need to be able to help your child when they need it most,’ she wrote on Instagram. 



***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk