one MILLION students will not do NAPLAN tests until 2021 to protect them from the coronavirus outbreak
- NAPLAN tests will be cancelled due to coronavirus and will resume next year
- Education ministers met via video to discuss whether to cancel or postpone
- On Friday, they decided to cancel the tests and thanked all teachers and staff
- Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?
NAPLAN tests will be cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Education ministers announced on Friday that the tests sat by years 3, 5, 7 and 9 between May 12-22 will resume next year.
The cancellation will affect over one million students nationally who were set to undertake the numeracy and literacy tests.
‘The decision not to proceed with NAPLAN has been taken to assist school leaders, teachers and support staff to focus on the wellbeing of students and continuity of education, including potential online and remote learning,’ the ministers said in a statement.
‘Further, the impact of responses to the COVID-19 virus may affect the delivery of NAPLAN testing, including the operation of centralised marking centres and the implications for nationally comparable data if an insufficient number of students are available to do the test.’
Education ministers announced on Friday that the tests sat by years 3, 5, 7 and 9 between May 12-22 will resume next year (stock)
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA: 833
New South Wales: 428
Western Australia: 52
South Australia: 43
Australian Capital Territory: 4
Northern Territory: 2
TOTAL CASES: 833
Ministers from each state and territory met via video to discuss whether the mandatory tests should be cancelled or postponed.
The impact of the coronavirus would have seen difficulty in delivering the NAPLAN tests, including operation centres, and the number of students not participating.
They thanked all teachers and support staff for ‘the essential work they do every day educating our children and young people, particularly during these challenging times’.
As schools remain open, they thanked teachers for ‘the essential work’ they did as they continue to to focus on educating their students.
The decision was taken to allow teachers to ‘focus on the wellbeing of students and continuity of education, including potential online and remote learning’.
The 2020 NAPLAN test was cancelled on Friday and will resume next year (stock)
They reiterated Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s call to keep school’s open during the coronavirus pandemic.
‘Education departments and systems will continue to closely monitor health advice and work with schools to ensure appropriate support for students and staff as the response to COVID-19 develops.’
‘The decision to cancel NAPLAN for 2020 is the right one,’ Education Council Chair and Victorian Education Minister James Merlino said, ABC reported.
‘These are unprecedented times and our school communities need to focus on the additional challenge of preparing for remote learning.
‘I want to acknowledge the exceptional contribution from our teachers, support staff and principals at all schools during these challenging times.
‘They can be assured that we are acting on the very best medical advice.’
‘The ministers thanked all teachers and support staff for ‘the essential work they do every day” (stock)
The cancellation also means testing of the expanded online NAPLAN platform, supposed to start next week, now won’t happen.
In 2019, the first widespread trial of NAPLAN online was plagued by technical issues, with many students unable to complete their tests first go.
Some states have questioned the usefulness of NAPLAN, with NSW, Queensland and Victoria reviewing whether the standardised testing gives parents and teachers diagnostic information in the most efficient way.
But federal Education Minister Dan Tehan has previously defended it, saying the tests did provide valuable information.