New setback for happy couples as weddings remain on hold while registrars ‘await government guidance’ despite Boris Johnson saying service could restart on July 4
- Couples face waiting until September for their big day despite July 4 lockdown easing
- County councils say ceremonies are delayed while they wait for clear guidance
- At the start of the pandemic, many councils saw couples push their weddings into 2021
- Places of worship are among the buildings allowed to reopen on July 4 by the PM
Couples who wanted to go ahead with their weddings when lockdown eases on July 4 could now have to wait until September.
Boris Johnson last week approved for nuptials to take place in religious venues like churches, synagogues and mosques, but with no more than 30 guests and a ban on hymns.
But in a further blow to the affianced, councils are delaying any ceremonies until the autumn to allow for venues to adjust to social distancing requirements.
Couples hoping to finally go ahead with their weddings on July 4 when Boris Johnson relaxes lockdown restrictions may have to wait until at least September (stock image)
County councils that oversee registrar services said that most clients pushed their wedding dates into 2021 at the start of the pandemic (stock image)
County councils that oversee registrar services told the Daily Telegraph that new bookings may be delayed until September or beyond as they wait for clarified Government guidelines.
They also said that most clients pushed their wedding dates into 2021 at the start of the pandemic.
Hannah Redeyoff from Doncaster has been given permission to carry out her wedding this Saturday and speaking to BBC Radio 4 she said: ‘As soon as lockdown happened we thought maybe we’d be able to go ahead or our original date on June 27, but we didn’t anticipate how big it would be, and about a month ago we realised it wasn’t going to happen.’
She also said that their initial wedding allowed for 92 guests but with only ten days to plan her rearranged service, details have had to change – including the loss of hymns.
Oxford county council are carrying out a phased approach to reopening venues but have no plans to allow wedding bookings until at least September 1 (stock image)
Oxford county council are carrying out a phased approach to reopening venues but have no plans to allow wedding bookings until at least September 1.
Somerset county council have asked all wedding venues to conduct a risk assessment before any bookings are taken.
No other council have yet committed to a date when weddings can begin again.
Katherine Daniel, who runs Little Quarme, a wedding venue in Somerset, said: ‘All of our weddings for this year we’ve reorganised, other than two left in October.’
She went on to say that despite having many enquiries from excited couples, her business has been unable to proceed with any bookings as registrars aren’t able to confirm weddings.
In a landmark announcement, Prime Minister Boris Johnsonalso gave the greenlight for hairdressers, pubs, hotels and other businesses to reopen their doors on July 4.
However, the lack of guidance offered to registrars have left most county councils unable to commit to a date when wedding bookings can be taken for.