News, Culture & Society

New South Wales recorded 18 new coronavirus cases

New South Wales records 18 new coronavirus cases as a popular pizza restaurant is shut down and clusters continue to grow

New South Wales confirmed another 18 coronavirus cases on Thursday.

Two of the newly diagnosed cases are returned travellers currently in mandatory hotel quarantine.

That means six other cases are linked to community transmission. 

Overnight, 27,147 tests were conducted in New South Wales and there are 100 people in hospital with the virus.

Clusters appear to be spreading throughout Sydney in particular, as venues from Bondi to the inner west close their doors in the wake of the crisis.  

Mary Immaculate Catholic Primary in Bossley Park in the city’s west is shut until at least August 10 as fears of a deadly second wave grow.

Frank’s Pizza Bar in Camperdown (pictured) also closed on Wednesday night after revealing a patron tested positive for the deadly respiratory infection

Fort Street High School in Sydney’s inner west will also shut and undergo deep cleaning today after a student required COVID-19 testing on Wednesday.

Frank’s Pizza Bar in the inner-west suburb of Camperdown also closed on Wednesday night after revealing a patron tested positive.

‘We are choosing to close the restaurant until next Tuesday the 4th of August, in order for our restaurant to be professionally deep cleaned,’ the owner said in a statement later that night.

Bondi’s iconic Surf Bathers Life Saving Club will also close after four members dined at The Apollo restaurant in Potts Point after a coronavirus carrier visited the eatery. 

'We are choosing to close the restaurant until next Tuesday the 4th of August, in order for our restaurant to be professionally deep cleaned,' the owner of Frank's Pizza Bar said in a statement on Wednesday night

‘We are choosing to close the restaurant until next Tuesday the 4th of August, in order for our restaurant to be professionally deep cleaned,’ the owner of Frank’s Pizza Bar said in a statement on Wednesday night

Surf club president Brent Jackson told The Australian three of the four members had already tested negative to the virus.

Results for the fourth member are due soon, but the club has been shut to members in the interim. 

‘We did not want to jeopardise the ability of Emergency Callout crews to use the club and thus we have cleaned and will not reopen to general members until the last members results are known,’ Mr Jackson said.

More to follow. 

Health care workers are seen setting up a pop-up COVID-19 testing clinic in Rushcutters Bay on Thursday (pictured)

Health care workers are seen setting up a pop-up COVID-19 testing clinic in Rushcutters Bay on Thursday (pictured)



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk