New South Wales records 16 new coronavirus cases as Victoria considers harsher lockdown measures to stop the spread of COVID-19
- New South Wales has confirmed a further 16 cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday
- Marks seventh consecutive days of double-digit daily infection totals in NSW
- 11 are associated with Thai Rock cluster in Wetherill Park in Sydney’s far west
- Three are linked to an outbreak at the Crossroads Hotel in Sydney’s south-west
- NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the state still needed to be on ‘high alert’
New South Wales has recorded 16 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday as Victoria considers harsher measures to stop the spread of the virus.
Of the new infections, 11 are associated with the Thai Rock restaurant cluster in Wetherill Park in Sydney’s far west while three are linked to the outbreak at the Crossroads Hotel in Casula in the city’s south-west.
One of the cases confirmed was from hotel quarantine while another in western Sydney is a close contact of a previously reported infection not connected to any known cluster, Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.
Ms Berejiklian said while it was reassuring no additional outbreaks had been detected up to 8pm last night, the state was still on ‘high alert’ for further spread of the deadly respiratory illness.
The 16 cases announced on Wednesday mark seven consecutive days of double-digit daily infections in NSW.
Pictured: A health worker wearing a protective suit conducts tests for COVID-19 at Bondi Beach on Monday. A further 16 new cases of the virus have been confirmed in New South Wales on Wednesday
A woman is tested at the pop-up testing clinic at Our Lady of Lebanon Cathedral in Harris Park in western Sydney
Ms Berejiklian said the next few weeks for NSW were critical to slowing the spread of the virus in Australia’s most populated state.
‘If we manage get on top of the community transmission at this stage, we have a much better chance of continuing the move forward in a positive way,’ she said.
NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said there were now 53 cases associated with the Crossroads Hotel cluster and 37 from the Thai Rock outbreak.
She said no further cases had been reported from the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club cluster.
While not yet re-imposing travel bans to regional areas in NSW, Ms Berejikilan said people should take ‘extra caution’ when moving around the state.
‘There is no zone which is safe,’ she said.
‘My strongest message is, that all of us are on high alert.
‘All of us should be monitoring our behaviour. All of us should consider where we travel. All of us should consider avoiding crowds and those high-risk activities, especially over the weekend.’
People enjoy the sunny weather at Bondi Beach on Monday as Sydney grapples with an outbreak of coronavirus cases in the city’s west
Pictured: A map showing Sydney’s coronavirus hotspot sites
Ms Berejiklian said the next few weeks for her state were ‘critical’ to slowing down the spread of the virus.
Beachgoers walk along the boardwalk at Bondi Beach on Monday. The NSW premier said the state needed to be on ‘high alert’ for further spread of the deadly respiratory illness
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews (pictured) is considering harsher restrictions for locked-down Melbourne
Dr Chant also clarified that only those who have been told to self-isolate in NSW because they have potentially come into contact with a known COVID-19 case have to remain isolated for 14 days.
The announcement comes as Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews considers limiting people to within 5km of their homes to slow the spread of the virus.
The state has reportedly recorded 484 new cases of coronavirus, its worst daily total ever, sources told The Australian.
That number would eclipse the state’s previous record of 428 on Friday.