Mother shares pictures of her daughter’s horrifying burns on her feet as a warning to parents not to let their children go barefoot in summer
- A mother was horrified when her daughter came home with blood-filled blisters
- Her daughter was playing barefoot basketball at school and burned her feet
- The woman said children need to keep their shoes on outside of the classroom
A mother has urged other parents to remind their children to leave shoes on in the playground after her daughter came home from school with blood-filled burns on her feet.
The little girl, who goes to school in South Auckland, played a game of barefoot basketball during a sport lesson at school during searing heat.
It wasn’t until she came off the court that she noticed the pain in her feet.
‘She had no idea her feet were blistering until she rested for a little while, and then she walked [home] on them,’ her mum told the NZHerald.
The little girl suffered purple, blood filled blisters and burns on the soles of her feet
The mother said she will have to take her daughter back to her local medical centre daily so the doctor can bandage and clean the wounds
She walked all the way home from school in agony before telling her mother, who wished to remain anonymous, that she’d hurt herself.
When her mother took off her shoes, she saw horrific burns on the balls of both feet which had in turn blistered and filled with blood.
She now requires at least a week off school while she recovers from the injuries.
The mother said she will have to take her daughter back to her local medical centre daily so the doctor can bandage and clean the wounds.
‘I have never seen anything like that, it shocked me,’ she said.
‘Make sure your kids especially toddlers keep their shoes on in this heat because it’s dangerous.’
She also encouraged people with pets to take their dogs on walks early in the morning or late at night to avoid hurting their paws.
Her child’s school acted immediately after she contacted them by sending an email to all teachers insisting children keep their shoes on during outdoor activities.
The little girl, who goes to school in South Auckland, played a game of barefoot basketball during a sport lesson at school during searing heat