Now THAT’S a salad: Lamb salad with aubergine, quinoa and pomegranate
From delicate crab to exotic lamb, more mouthwatering ideas in our second helping of super salads.
This delicious lamb salad with aubergine, quinoa & pomegranate (pictured) is best served with tahini sauce
For the salad
- 1 sweet potato, unpeeled and sliced
- 1 aubergine, sliced
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7oz) quinoa
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- A handful of mint and parsley, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 2tsp ras el hanout (spice mix, from supermarkets)
- 4 lamb steaks (approx 400g/14oz)
- Lemon, for squeezing over
- 4tbsp pomegranate seeds (see tip across the bottom of the page)
For the tahini sauce
- 3tbsp tahini
- 1tbsp thick yoghurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 fat clove of garlic, grated
- 2tbsp parsley, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- A little water
Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Spread the sweet potato and aubergine slices on a tray, drizzle with 1tbsp of the olive oil, sprinkle with the cumin and season well. Roast for 25 minutes, until golden.
Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions. Tip the quinoa into a bowl, add the chickpeas and stir through the roasted veg and the chopped mint and parsley.
Combine the ingredients for the tahini sauce, add enough water to loosen to a mayonnaise type consistency, then garnish with the extra parsley. Preheat a griddle pan. Mix the ras el hanout with 2tbsp of the olive oil and some seasoning. Rub this all over the lamb and griddle for 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking.
Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then slice. Pile the quinoa mix onto a platter, drizzle with the last of the oil and squeeze over some lemon juice. Top with the warm lamb and scatter with the pomegranate seeds and the extra mint and parsley. Serve with the tahini sauce.