Now there are Uber PUNTS! Chauffeured tours on the River Cam in Cambridge to launch on the ride-sharing app for the bank holiday weekend
- Riders can skip queues and book private 40-minute boat tours for eight people
- The offer is available all through the bank holiday weekend starting on Thursday
- Prices start at just £10 and all money will be donated to a local charity
It’s one hull of an offer.
Cambridge’s famous punts will be available to book through the Uber app throughout the bank holiday weekend, starting on Thursday.
With a click of a button, riders can cut the queue and book a chauffeured boat to take them along the famous River Cam.
Uber is launching a new punting service. Riders can book their own private boat and chauffeur through the app in Cambridge over the bank holiday weekend
The offer is available from Thursday the 22nd until Monday the 25th of August. Each tour lasts 40 minutes and takes in some of the most popular sights in the historic university city.
The punting outings can accommodate up to eight passengers and can be booked through the Uber app within a one-mile radius of the departure dock, which is outside La Mimosa Restaurant.
That means the service can be booked from nearby locations such as Cambridge City Centre, St John’s College and the Fitzwilliam Museum.
Riders can book a private boat tour, from Tyrrell’s Punting Cambridge/Cambridge Punters, for just £10 – and the money will be donated to a local charity.
This summer trial of hiring punts is the latest addition to the Uber app.
Uber added a Public Transport option in April, with live Tube and bus times in London.
This allows users to plan their journey with real-time information about public transport options – as well as Uber cars – to show the quickest, easiest and most cost-effective route home.
Cambridge is famous for its punting and the new launch from Uber means riders can beat the queues and book a boat for up to eight people with just the click of a button
HOW TO BOOK YOUR PUNT THIS BANK HOLIDAY WITH UBER
- Open the Uber app in Cambridge on the 22nd, 23rd or 24th of August.
- Select Uber Boat and book a tour for up to eight people.
- Once confirmed, passengers will need to walk immediately to the pick-up dock.
- Your Uber app will direct you to the dock, which is located outside La Mimosa Restaurant, 1 Thompsons Ln, Cambridge CB5 8AQ (you will need to be within a one-mile radius on La Mimosa Restaurant, otherwise Uber Boat will not appear on the app – when booking try to be near locations such as King’s College and Fitzwilliam Museum).
- Be sure to double check your Captain’s name and photo as well as the boat number in your app (as with any Uber trip).
In May, Uber launched electric Jump bicycles in the capital, again bookable through the app.
Already thousands of people have taken trips with Jump bikes, taking advantage of the inbuilt electric boost of up to 15mph for a quick and sweat-free journey.
Michael Di Stefano, co-owner of Tyrrell’s Punting Cambridge/Cambridge Punters, commented: ‘Punting has been a popular mode of transport on the River Cam since the 1800s but until now not much has changed.
‘We’re excited about giving punting a modern upgrade, booking tours through the Uber app for an easy way to experience punting in Cambridge.
‘We can’t wait to show Uber users, both locals and tourists, the beautiful sights of this historic city.’
Fred Jones, Head of New Mobility at Uber, added: ‘This year has been all about expanding the many ways you can travel using the Uber app – whether it’s in a car, on the Tube or with a Jump bike.
‘What better way to finish the summer than punting boats, a classic English pastime, booked through Uber app.’