NYC braces for a WEEK of fireworks from Macy’s ahead of July 4 after almost a month of illegal displays nightly have left the city on edge
- Macy’s nightly fireworks displays will begin on Monday and run until July 4
- The five minute spectaculars will be unannounced and at high elevation
- The show is designed to be seen from all over the City, to prevent crowds
- Bill de Blasio, mayor of New York, said it was a treat for the exhausted City
- De Blasio is currently confronting a scourge of illegal fireworks displays
Macy’s has announced that it will launch a nightly firework show this week in New York City, as Mayor Bill de Blasio faces strong criticism for failing to get illegal firework displays under control.
Starting on Monday, five minutes of explosions will be detonated by the store’s pyrotechnicians.
The fireworks will be set off at a ‘high elevation, unannounced’ to prevent people from gathering to watch them.
Macy’s fireworks will this year be on display all week, to prevent crowds gathering in one place
The spectacular usually sees large numbers of people congregating, but this year is different
The display, pictured last year, will be five minutes long every night this week ahead of July 4
Macy’s and de Blasio’s office said the unusual celebration was a tribute to the city, which has endured so much during the coronavirus pandemic.
‘In reimagining this year’s show, the idea of bringing elements to many parts of our hometown resonated with our team and partners in the City of New York,’ said Susan Tercero, executive producer of Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks show.
De Blasio added: ‘These past few months have been some of the most difficult in our city’s history, and New Yorkers are looking for a break.
‘This 4th of July Celebration with Macy’s will give all New Yorkers a safe and exciting way to enjoy the holiday together, even when we are apart.’
The display week comes as New York battles a surge in illegal firework detonation.
Illegal firework displays have angered New Yorkers for the past few weeks
There has also been a spike in noise complaints of fireworks exploding throughout the night
Authorities are forming a new law enforcement task force to try to curb a surge in their use.
De Blasio said Tuesday that the team – made up of New York Police Department officers, fire department investigators and sheriff’s deputies – will use undercover buys and other methods to try to cut off the supply chain of fireworks coming from out of state.
Social media videos have shown a growing number of people setting off fireworks on city streets in recent weeks.
There has also been a spike in noise complaints of fireworks exploding throughout the night.
‘We’re cracking down on this activity at the source to ensure the safety of all New Yorkers and the ability of our neighbors to get some sleep,’ de Blasio said in a statement.
Eric Adams, the Brooklyn borough president, has told people not to call 911 about fireworks.
He said they should go out themselves to find and confront those who are shooting them off rather than get police involved.