‘You are either royal or you are not’: Queen’s most senior advisor on ceremonial matters says it would be ‘unsatisfactory’ if Prince Harry and Meghan Markle continue to use ‘Sussex Royal’ brand after stopping public duties
- Adviser Thomas Woodcock, known as Garter, is a member of the royal household
- His job is ensuring that royal symbols are not wrongly used in a commercial way
- He said it would not be ‘satisfactory’ for couple to use the Sussex Royal branding
The Queen’s most senior advisor on ceremonial matters has said it would not be ‘satisfactory’ for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to continue to use the Sussex Royal name after stepping down from senior royal duties.
Thomas Woodcock, Garter Principal King of Arms, is a member of the royal household and his job is ensuring that royal symbols are not wrongly used commercially.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex successfully negotiated their withdrawal from the royal family earlier this week, and it has already been announced the couple will not use their HRH titles.
But the couple already have an Instagram feed called Sussexroyal and a website of the same name. And questions linger over whether they should be able to use the brand, as they have stepped down from royal duties.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex successfully negotiated their withdrawal from the royal family earlier this week, and it has already been announced the couple will not use their HRH titles
Thomas Woodcock, known as Garter, is a member of the royal household and his job is ensuring that royal symbols are not wrongly used commercially
Mr Woodcock told The Times: ‘I don’t think it’s satisfactory. One cannot be two things at once. You either are [royal] or you’re not.’
The principal advisor to the Queen on heraldry and ceremonial matters is currently being consulted on the plans, but the final call will be made by Her Majesty.
He added: ‘It is such unusual times that it is a matter of waiting and seeing how things develop.’
Last night Prince Harry jetted out to Canada to be reunited with Meghan and Archie, and being his new life in North America.
The Duke of Sussex, pictured at the UK-Africa Investment Summit in London on Monday during the day, missed his brother William’s first solo reception at Buckingham Palace in the evening
The Duke of Sussex missed his brother William’s first solo reception at Buckingham Palace on Monday evening, where he ushered in a new era for the royals, without Harry, Prince Charles or the Queen present.
At the summit reception the Duke of Cambridge was supported by his wife Kate, Prince Edward, his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex, and Princess Anne as they welcomed 21 African delegations to the Queen’s London home.
Despite the drama of the past fortnight, William and Kate were all smiles as they received a line of visiting Heads of State and their partners in the Music Room.
In a warm and personal speech, the duke welcomed the heads of state or ministers from 21 African nations, telling them: ‘My grandmother is sorry not to be here this evening, but she has asked me to pass on her warmest wishes to you all.’
Meghan Markle took son Archie for a walk in the woods in Vancouver, Canada, and eagerly awaited the return of her husband
Meanwhile, Meghan looked without a care in the world as she was snapped taking her dogs for a walk with Archie just a couple of miles from the oceanfront home where she has spent most of the past two months on Canada’s Vancouver Island.
Holding her two dogs, black lab Oz and beagle Guy on leashes, there was no sign of the drama of Megxit on the Duchess of Sussex’s smiling face as she held her eight-month-old son on her chest in a snuggly baby carrier, and awaited the imminent arrival of her husband.