Paramedics at first believed a mother-to-be repeatedly stabbed at her home was suffering from ‘pregnancy-related’ complications, a Coroner heard.
Kelly Fauvrelle, 26, who was 33 weeks pregnant, died at the scene following the brutal attack in the early hours of Saturday, June 29.
An inquest opening was told today that her baby son, named Riley, was delivered by emergency Caesarean-section at the scene in Thornton Heath, south London.
But, tragically, the baby boy also died just four days later, Croydon Coroner’s Court heard.
Kelly Fauvrelle, 26, (pictured) who was 33 weeks pregnant, died at the scene following the brutal attack in the early hours of Saturday, June 29
Detective Chief Inspector Michael Norman told the hearing that when 999 crews first arrived at the scene they thought Kelly was suffering a ‘pregnancy-related incident’.
He said that police plus paramedics from the Helicopter Emergency Medical Service and London Ambulance Service quickly discovered from her family that she had been attacked.
The cause of baby Riley’s death has not yet been established, the hearing was told, but Kelly died of ‘multiple stab wounds’.
The inquest into their deaths was opened and adjourned today while the criminal investigation continues.
Aaron McKenzie, 25, is due to appear at the Old Bailey tomorrow to answer charges of murder and manslaughter in relation to Kelly and Riley’s deaths, respectively.
Assistant Croydon Coroner Toby Watkin said: ‘I open this inquest touching on the death of Riley Fauvrelle and Kelly Mary Fauvrelle who was born on the May 19, 1993. And Riley was born on the 29 June 2019.’
When 999 crews first arrived at the scene they thought Kelly (pictured) was suffering a ‘pregnancy-related incident’
DCI Norman, the senior investigating officer from of Met’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said: ‘Emergency services were called to Raymead Avenue in the early hours of Saturday 29 June on or about 3.30am.
‘Emergency services attended, which was a combination of HEMS and LAS and police, to discover the critically injured body of Kelly Fauvrelle.
‘Initially it was thought she had some sort of pregnancy related incident, but quickly the family who called this in made them presently aware that this was an assault.
‘Kelly Fauvrelle was 33-weeks pregnant and, despite the efforts of emergency services, she was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
‘Emergency services were given no option but to carry out an emergency c-section and delivered baby Riley, a boy, who was taken directly to the hospital.
‘Sadly, unfortunately, despite best efforts of everyone involved, he tragically died on July 3 – four days after he was born.’
He continued: ‘A murder investigation was launched under my direction.
‘This culminated in the arrest on Thursday July 11. A male was arrested, Aaron McKenzie. Subsequently he has been charged in the early hours of Sunday morning 14 July.
Kelly (left) and an ultrasound of Riley in her womb. Her family were in the house at the time of her attack
Pictures outside Kelly’s family home in Thornton Heath, where she was stabbed to death
‘He was initially charged with the murder of Kelly Fauvrelle and manslaughter of Riley Fauvrelle, the reason being the cause of death for Kelly Fauvrelle was given as multiple stab wounds.
‘In terms of Riley the cause of death is unascertained. Tests could not find a cause of death.’
DCI Norman said the suspect has since appeared at Camberwell Magistrates’ Court.
- Jan 1: Charlotte Huggins, 32, Camberwell
- Jan 1: Tudor Simionov, 33, Mayfair
- Jan 4: Simbiso Aretha Moula, 39, Rainham
- Jan 6: Sarah Ashraf, 35, Isle of Dogs
- Jan 7: Jayden Moody, 14, Waltham Forest
- Jan 11: Asma Begum, 31, Canning Town
- Jan 27: Kamil Malysz, 34, Acton
- Jan 29: Nedim Bilgin, 17, Islington
- Feb 4: Carl Thorpe, 46, Highgate
- Feb 5: Lejean Richards, 19, Battersea
- Feb 10: Dennis Anderson, 39, East Dulwich
- Feb 18: Bright Akinlele, 22, Camden
- Feb 19: Brian Wieland, 69, Chingford
- Feb 21: Glendon Spence, 23, Brixton
- Feb 22: Kamali Gabbidon-Lynck, 19, Wood Green
- Feb 25: David Lopez-Fernandez, 38, Tower Hamlets
- Feb 26: Che Morrison, 20, Ilford
- Mar 1: Jodie Chesney, 17, Harold Hill
- Mar 2: Elize Linda Stevens, 50, Hendon
- Mar 2: Jolia Bogdan, 3 months, Croydon
- Mar 3: Unnamed man, 37, Soho
- Mar 6: Laureline Garcia-Bertaux, 34, Kew
- Mar 6: David Martinez, 26, Leyton
- Mar 7: Antoinette Donnegan, 52, Battersea
- Mar 7: Ayub Hassan, 17, West Kensington
- Mar 16: Nathaniel Armstrong, 29, Fulham
- Mar 22: Abdirashid Mohamoud, 17, Isleworth
- Mar 24: Ravi Katharkamar, 54, Pinner
- Mar 27: Ramane Richard Wiggan, 25, West Norwood
- Mar 28: Zahir Visiter, 25, Regents Park
- Mar 29: Gavin Garraway, 40, Clapham
- Apr 1: Calvin Bungisa, 22, Kentish Town
- Apr 2: Hubert Hall, 60, Walthamstow
- Apr 7: Annabelle Lancaster, 22, Enfield
- Apr 8: Noore Bashir Salad, 22, Manor Park
- Apr 16: Gopinath Kasivisuwanathan, 27, Wembley
- Apr 17: Steven Brown, 47, Stoke Newington
- Apr 23: Meshak Williams, 21, Harlesden
- Apr 26: Mihrican Mustafa, 38, Canning Town
- Apr 26: Henriett Szucs, 34, Canning Town
- Apr 26: Amy Parsons, 35, Whitechapel
- Apr 26: Joshua White, 29, Hackney
- May 1: Tashaun Aird, 15, Hackney
- May 5: Constantin Sin, 51, Leytonstone
- May 5: Junior Urugbezi-Edwards, 18, Southwark
- May 7: Mohammed Shah Subhani, Hounslow
- May 11: Erik San-Filippo, 23, Islington
- May 16: Barrington Davis, 54, Lewisham
- May 23: Vladimir Koudriavtsev, 69, Kensington
- May 23: Tatiana Koudriavtsev, 68, Kensington
- May 25: Iderval da Silva, 46, Battersea
- May 26: Alimal Islam, 23, Tower Hamlets
- May 28: Ismail Ceesay, 33, Forest Gate
- May 30: Steven Kennedy, 61, Plaistow Park
- May 30: Graham Howe, 53, Harrow
- June 1: Baris Kucuk, 33, Haringey
- June 4: Adrian Murphy, 43, Battersea
- June 14: Cheyon Evans, 18, Wandsworth
- June 14: Eniola Aluko, 19, Plumstead
- June 15: Gleb Stanislavovitch Zhebrovsky, 34, Tower Hamlets
- June 15: Giedrius Juskauskas, 42, Stratford
- June 18: David Bello-Monerville, 38, Barnet
- June 21: Edward Simpson, 25, Feltham
- June 26: Yusuf Mohamed, 18, Uxbridge
- June 29: Kellymary Fauvrelle, 26, Croydon
- June 29: Riley Fauvrelle, 5 days, Croydon
- June 28: Man, 54, Lambeth
- June 29: Man, 28, Newham
- June 30: Amara Toure, 18, Southwark
- July 3: Tesfa Campbell, 40, Wandsworth
- July 5: Craig Small, 32, Wembley
- July 5: Amanda Gretton, 57, Blackheath
- July 7: Man, 20s, Leyton
- July 8: Kwasi Mensah-Ababio, 26, Wembley
- July 10: Man, 20s, Greenwich
- July 11: Man, teens, Purley
- July 12: Man, 60s, Whitton
- July 12: Woman, 70s, Whitton
He added: ‘The matter has been sent to the Crown Court with a trial date to be fixed, but expected to be at the end of this year.’
The Coroner said: ‘It being apparent that some individual has been charged with manslaughter or murder of both Kelly Fauvrelle and Riley Fauvrelle, I’m therefore required to suspend this investigation.
‘The investigation will only be resumed when there is sufficient reason to do so.
‘I therefore adjourn both inquests for a date to be specified.’
Aaron McKenzie pictured in a court sketch – the first time he has been seen in public