At least four children and two adults died in a shopping mall fire in Russia – as terrified shoppers were seen leaping from burning windows.
The horrific scene occurred at the ‘Winter Cherry’ shopping centre in Kemerovo, Siberia on Sunday morning.
Several people were filmed jumping from high windows with black smoke pouring out, falling several storeys below.
A criminal investigation has now been launched to investigate the matter as some reports claim a children’s attraction in the centre caught fire, sparking the blaze.
People were seen leaping from a burning shopping centre in Kemerovo, Siberia on Sunday. At least four children and two adults have died as a result of the fiery blaze
Fifteen fire teams, including 60 firemen, were at the scene of the accident, where some 1,500 square metres of the mall was ablaze
Unconfirmed reports said eight children and three adults were killed. Among nine injured were two children.
Two of the injured were hospitalised with fractures and the rest were sent to hospital with smoke poisoning.
The Russian Investigative Committee, which probes serious crime, confirmed: ‘Four children corpses have been found in a children’s area during the rescue operations.’
Earlier reports said children died from ‘gas poisoning’ in the mall.
Eyewitness Alexander Dorogov said: ‘Two floors went up in smoke in five minutes. The children’s play area in the centre was engulfed in smoke in two minutes.
‘The smoke was so thick that you couldn’t see a stretched out hand. When firefighters came, two people had already jumped out of windows.
‘We found some carpet to hold out and catch one of them.’
Videos show a jumper smashing into an awning over a door on the way down as onlookers screamed. The person is believed to have died from the fall
Parents were seen on video ushering their children away from the deadly scene
In addition to concerns over gas poisoning, there were fears the burned shopping centre could collapse.
Fifteen fire teams, including 60 firemen, were at the scene of the accident, where some 1,500 square metres of the mall was ablaze.
Videos show a jumper smashing into an awning over a door on the way down as onlookers screamed. The person is believed to have died from the fall.
Another shopper also jumped and was reported by witnesses to have survived when they were caught by people below.
Soon after reports of the fire, emergency services were seen in attendance.
Around 100 people were evacuated and 20 were rescued from the flames.
Parents were seen on videos ushering their children away from the deadly scene.