Pep Guardiola wears a t-shirt in support of Man City fan who was left in a coma after being attacked in Belgium following Champions League victory over Club Brugge
- Pep Guardiola has paid tribute to the Man City fan who was attacked in Belgium
- Guido De Pauw is in a coma with fears of brain damage after being attacked
- The City manager wore a t-shirt in support of him at their press conference today
- Guardiola said that he has the full support of the club and that they wish him well
Pep Guardiola wore a message of support for the Manchester City supporter who was attacked after Tuesday’s Champions League victory at Club Bruges.
Guido De Pauw was left in a coma with fears of brain damage after being set upon at a service station while driving home.
The 63-year-old is now in a stable condition and Guardiola arrived at his weekly media duties with a t-shirt reading: ‘We’re with you, Guido.’
Pep Guardiola (above) attended today’s press conference wearing a t-shirt in support of the Manchester City fan who was attacked in Belgium earlier this week
Speaking at Manchester City’s press conference ahead of their clash with Brighton, Guardiola said: ‘Of course of all the club and the organisation, from our chairman Khaldoon (Al Mubarak) and every person we are with him.
‘We are quite optimistic because the last hours he is getting better. Of course he has all the support from the club for what they need with the investigation from our club.
‘We are (sending) a big hug for him and all his family and we wish he comes back to Etihad Stadium soon to follow us.’
Reports in Belgium on Friday stated that two men remain in police custody. A lawyer of one of the alleged perpetrators said: ‘He is very sorry. He realises that he will have to pay a lot and that he is no longer allowed to go to football.’
Guardiola added: ‘Hopefully this isn’t going to happen again. It’s difficult to understand why people go to enjoy a football game and this kind of terrible things.
‘I’m pretty sure (Club) Bruges will do the right investigation on that and they can take the person or the people involved in this.’
A 63-year-old man, who is part of City supporters’ group called Blue Moon Belgium, was attacked while on his way back from City’s 3-2 Champions League victory on Wednesday
A lawyer of one of the alleged perpetrators who attended the game in Belgium said: ‘He is very sorry. He realises that he will have to pay a lot and that he is no longer allowed to go to football’
Jurgen, son of the attacked supporter, hit out at the ‘cowardly’ and ‘senseless’ violence in a statement made by Blue Moon Belgium on Wednesday morning .
He said: ‘My father was the victim of a cowardly attack for his City scarf at a stopover in Drugen. We hope the perpetrators are found and punished.
‘We have been everywhere in England and the rest of Europe, never aggression. We come to Belgium once and you will be left for dead.
‘Keep on fighting daddy. City love, Jurgen.’
Jurgen also explained how his father was waiting for two friends when he was confronted.
He said Guido was approached by a Brugge supporter and the City scarf was taken from him.
‘When my dad asked for his scarf back, he received a heavy blow to the head, after which the perpetrators fled and left my dad for dead.’
Club Brugge released a statement after the incident saying they were ‘horrified’ by the attack and ‘strongly disapproved’ of the behaviour.
Jurgen, son of the attacked supporter, hit out at the ‘cowardly’ and ‘senseless’ violence in a statement made by Blue Moon Belgium on Wednesday morning after he was ‘left for dead’
‘Club Brugge was horrified to learn of the events at the E40 motorway parking lot in Drongen where a Manchester City supporter, who had previously been a guest at the Jan Breydel Stadium, was attacked,’ they said at the time.
‘Club Brugge strongly disapproves of all criminal behaviour both inside and outside the stadium and puts tolerance first. Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of the Manchester City supporter.’
While Manchester City released a statement saying: ‘Everyone at Manchester City is shocked and saddened to hear reports of an attack on one of our supporters after the Champions League game in Bruges last night.
‘We are currently working with our counterparts at Club Brugge as well as Belgian and Greater Manchester Police to establish more information.
‘Our thoughts and best wishes go out to the family and friends of the Belgian based supporter, who remains in hospital.’