Man is arrested in connection with the murders of three Detroit sex workers who have been dumped in abandoned homes since March
- A man has been taken into custody by Detroit Police in connection with a possible serial killer case
- A homeless man, DeAngelo Kenneth Martin, 34, was arrested on Friday 7:30pm
- It comes after the bodies of three African-American women have been found in recent months in areas where drug dealers and sex workers frequent
- 52-year-old Nancy Harrison’s body was found on March 19 in a vacant house on the city’s east side
- The body of Travesene Ellis, 53, was found in a vacant house
- Detroit Police said they would be stepping up efforts to search every vacant home on the city’s east side as officers continue to search for more victims
DeAngelo Kenneth Martin has been arrested in the case of a triple murder
A man has been taken into custody by Detroit Police in connection with a possible serial killer case.
A homeless man, DeAngelo Kenneth Martin, 34, who is known to hang around the east side of the city was found at a bus stop in the area of 7 Mile Road and Gratiot on Friday at 7:30pm.
Detroit Police Chief James Craig gave a description of a third victim who had been found dead.
The African American woman is believed to have been dead for around three or four days before she was discovered by police.
Officers are now in the process of talking to the woman’s family.
News of a possible serial killer in Detroit was revealed on Wednesday after police said that three cases involving the murders of women could be linked according to Freep.
52-year-old Nancy Harrison’s body was found on March 19 in a vacant house on the city’s east side. The body of Travesene Ellis, 53, was found in a vacant house, and now a third body has been found.
Investigators believe a ‘serial murderer and rapist’ targeting prostitutes is at large in Detroit, although a ‘person of interest’ was arrested on Friday evening
Detroit Police Chief James Craig answers questions during a press conference on Friday
The killer appears to be targeting sex workers in their 50s according to police.
Craig said the department decided to go public with the case after the third woman’s body was found naked Wednesday in a vacant home on Mack Avenue near Mount Elliott.
The first woman’s body was found on March 19 while the second one was discovered on May 24.
The victims were all found naked in areas where drugs are known to be an issue.
52-year-old Nancy Harrison’s body was found on March 19 in a vacant house on the city’s east side. The body of Travesene Ellis, 53, was found in a vacant house. Now a third has been found
Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan speaks during a press conference addressing the police response to a possible serial killer
‘There’s such similarity that it’s certainly a strong possibility that one individual was responsible for all three,’ Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said Friday.
‘Rather than wait for another victim, I felt it was important to warn community about this possibility,’ Duggan said to Fox2.
So far, only the first death has been ruled a homicide; a cause of death has not been determined for the other two women. Despite that, Craig said he felt strong enough in his belief that one person is responsible for all three deaths.
Officers are now going to be searching every vacant or abandoned home to make sure there are no further victims. The empty homes will then be boarded up.
‘1,000 homes on the east side need boarded up. Teams are on overtime, working six days a week. The goal is to have every single house on east side boarded up by end of July,’ Duggan said.