News, Culture & Society

PICTURED: Boy, 13, bitten by a brown snake reveals the one thing that saved his life 

A teenager who was bitten by a brown snake while at home alone has his jeans to thank for saving his life.

Thomas Morgan, 13, had been filling up his dog’s water bowel at his home in Rupanyup, north of Melbourne, on Sunday afternoon when he felt an ‘itch’ on his shin.

Thomas said he knew immediately he had been bitten by a snake and went to call his parents.

Thomas Morgan, 13, who was bitten by a brown snake while at home alone in rural Victoria, has his jeans to thank for saving his life

He was also fortunate enough to have a nurse as a neighbour – who was on hand to treat his wound.

The 13-year-old was taken to Wimmera Base Hospital in nearby Horsham, but tests found he had been left largely unscathed by the snake’s venom.

Doctor Minhindu Jayasuriya told Channel 9 the fact he was wearing jeans had helped deaden the impact of the venom.

He was also fortunate enough to have a nurse as a neighbour - who was on hand to treat his wound (pictured)

He was also fortunate enough to have a nurse as a neighbour – who was on hand to treat his wound (pictured)

Doctor Minhindu Jayasuriya (pictured left) said the fact he was wearing jeans had helped deaden the impact of the brown snake's venom 

Doctor Minhindu Jayasuriya (pictured left) said the fact he was wearing jeans had helped deaden the impact of the brown snake’s venom 

He said: ‘We completed a top-to-toe examination … including all his vital organs to ensure there was no envenomation.’  

His father, David Morgan, said he was impressed by how his son handled himself throughout the ordeal. 

He said: ‘I was really proud – he handled it all extremely well. I thought he’d be anxious about it all.’

The eastern brown snake is often found in backyards and is the second most toxic land snake in the world. 

Thomas’ parents have spent the past fortnight teaching their kids what to do if they see a snake or are bitten by one.

The incident comes after snake catchers warned residents across the country to be vigilant this summer as reptiles emerge to get some sunlight after a long mating season.

The eastern brown snake is often found in backyards and is the second most toxic land snake in the world (stock image)

 The 13-year-old was taken to the Wimmera Base Hospital (pictured) in nearby Horsham, but tests found he had been left largely unscathed by the brown snake's venom

 The 13-year-old was taken to the Wimmera Base Hospital (pictured) in nearby Horsham, but tests found he had been left largely unscathed by the brown snake’s venom

Tony Harrison, a snake catcher on Queensland’s Gold Coast, said spring was when reptiles typically went out in search of companions for mating.

Mr Harrison said snakes were most active in summer and most likely to be seen emerging from bushland on hot days.

Earlier this year Aaron Bryant, 46, was killed from a snake bite when he tried to remove a baby eastern brown snake from his Queensland property.

HOW TO AVOID SNAKES THIS SEASON

Remove pet water bowls from near entry or exit points as they can attract thirsty snakes 

Keep doors closed in warmer weather and make sure there are no holes in the screens 

Try to reduce number of rats or mice in the home by clearing away uneaten pet food

Trim overhanging plants and remove overgrown shrubs or weeds 

Do not leave shoes at the doorstep  

Keep shelves at least 30 centimetres from the ground – particularly in the shed or carport 

Wear leather gloves when gardening or working on the house outside  

Don’t try to attack a snake if you come across one as this will only aggravate the reptile, making it more likely to bite

Watch its movements from a distance and call a professional to remove it  

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk