Pictured: Man suspected of brutal sexual attack after he ‘dragged a terrified teenager into an alley and assaulted her’ – as police offer $500,000 reward for information
- A woman in her late teens was sexually assaulted in Melbourne on June 9, 2018
- Man gabbed the woman and locked her behind metal gates before assaulting her
- Police have offered a $500,000 reward and possible indemnity for information
Strolling along with his hands plunged deep in his pockets, this is the man police believe dragged a terrified teen into an alley before sexually assaulting her.
Police have ramped up the the search for the man, offering a $500,000 reward for information about the alleged offender.
The 18-year-old woman was attacked while walking along Flinders Street toward Swanston Street in Melbourne’s CBD just after 1.45am on June 9, 2018.
Officers from the Sexual Crimes Squad on Tuesday made the decision to re-release footage of the man wanted for questioning in the hope that someone may recognise him.
The man, who is of African appearance, and was wearing a black puffy jacket with red lining, light blue jeans and white runners.
He approached the teen as she walked past a bar situated below a hostel between Elizabeth Street and Degraves Street.
Officers from the Sexual Crimes Squad on Tuesday made the decision to re-release footage of the man wanted for questioning in the hope that someone may recognise him
He proceeded to place his arm around her shoulders and neck and attempted conversation as they walked toward Swanston Street.
As the pair approached Metro Tunnel works that were taking place, the man pulled the woman to him and kissed her.
She attempted to fight him off, but once they passed the works, the man dragged the victim into an alleyway behind high metal gates, locked them, then sexually assaulted her.
The teenager screamed and managed to get away through gates onto Flinders Street, and police believe people would have seen her running from the scene due to the high density of people in the area.
Three men walking nearby noticed the distressed woman and helped her get in touch with a friend and organise a ride home. She did not tell the men she had been assaulted, police said.
The man who was pictured is of African appearance, and was wearing a black puffy jacket with red lining, light blue jeans and white runners
Police are also hoping to get in touch with the good Samaritans who helped her.
They said one had already contacted police, but they’re hoping the two others will come forward as well.
Detective Inspector Steve Wilson said ‘there is absolutely no doubt that this assault has had an enormous and detrimental impact on this victim’s life.
‘She was only an 18-year-old teenager at the time and this attack had significant negative effect on her university studies and day-to-day life.
In addition to the $500,000 reward police have now offered for information, they have indicated there may be a possibility of indemnity for people who come forward
‘To have something like this happen to one of the most vulnerable members of our community is just devastating, and we are doing absolutely everything we can to find who is responsible and bring them to justice.’
In addition to the $500,000 reward police have now offered for information, they have indicated there may be a possibility of indemnity for people who come forward.
‘In appropriate cases, the Director of Public Prosecutions may consider granting indemnification from prosecution to any person who provides information as to the identity of the principal offender or offenders in this matter,’ a statement read.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppers.com.au.