News, Culture & Society

Police officer is seriously wounded ‘as man slashes him with sword in the street’

A 23-year-old has been arrested after a police officer was slashed with a sword.

The officer is now in hospital with ‘serious injuries’ following the incident on Upper Chorlton Road, Whalley Range at around 1.50pm on Sunday.

Shocking footage from the scene shows polie officers taking down the suspect. 

In the video, the suspect can be seen running from an alleyway with a 3 foot sword in his hand before being taken down by uniformed officers.  

The suspect, who one witness said was crying on the floor, then tries to hit out at two officers before he his disarmed, Tasered and arrested by officers.

One officer is in hospital with serious injuries although they are not thought to be life-threatening.      

The incident took place on Upper Chorlton Road in Whalley Range this after. 

A number of roads remain closed around the scene in Demesne Road, Greater Manchester Police said.  

A witness said they saw two police officers ‘bleeding quite heavily’ following the incident.

Another resident, Haroon Altaf, 34, who captured the incident on his mobile phone, said: ‘I saw a man running across the road with what seemed to me to be a 3ft sword. Police were everywhere.

‘He had run into somebody’s front garden and these police officers dragged him out but he’s gone for the officers. They were hitting him but you can see from the video is still attacking them when he’s on the floor.

‘I think the officers did quite well. They were very professional. It’s a shame they got hurt in the process. What they did was good.

‘One of the ladies passing by was quite shaken up. She couldn’t believe it had just happened.’

Another resident, who declined to be named, said: ‘I came out of the shop and I could hear shouting. The coppers just Tasered the guy. I could see two of the coppers were bleeding quite heavily. One had blood on his face.

‘I could see the machete on the ground. The man was on the floor crying and shouting.

‘These two coppers took the guy on even though he had a machete. It was pretty brave of them to engage with him. This was a Sunday afternoon. People were out with their kids.’

Police confirmed officers were called to reports of a man threatening people with a weapon on Demesne Road in Whalley Range shortly after 1.50pm.

One of the officers was ‘slashed with a sword’ when they arrived at the scene and tried to engage with the man, according to a spokesman for GMP.

‘A Taser was deployed for the safety of everyone at the scene,’ said the spokesman.

A 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of possession of a bladed article and assaulting a police officer. 

More follows.

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.