Police probing released terrorists after London Bridge stabbings arrest man, 34, on suspicion of preparing ANOTHER attack
- A search was conducted last night in connection to existing licence conditions
- A 34-year-old was arrested on suspicion of terrorist acts at his home address
- No information to suggest the arrested man was involved in London Bridge
- An urgent review of terrorists released from prison was launched by the MOJ
Police have arrested a man in Stoke-on-Trent on suspicion of preparing a terrorism attack.
The force said a 34-year-old was arrested after a search of his home address.
West Midlands Police said the search warrant was executed following in connection to ‘a wider on-going review of existing licence conditions of convicted terrorism offenders.’
A floral tribute left at the scene of the London Bridge terror attack says: ‘I love you forever, I am so proud of you’
The man, who has not been named, was arrested on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts contrary to Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2006.
A spokesman for West Midlands Police said: ‘There is no information to suggest that the arrested man was involved in the incident at London Bridge on Friday.
‘There was no immediate risk to public safety.’
It comes after Usman Khan, 28, went on a deadly knife frenzy in London on Friday, killing two people and injuring three others.
An urgent review of terrorists released from prison was launched by the Ministry of Justice following the attack on Friday.
Armed with two knives and wearing a fake suicide vest, Khan was tackled by members of the public, including ex-offenders from the conference, before he was shot dead by police on London Bridge.
The 28-year-old was part of an al Qaeda-inspired terror group and was convicted of terror offences in February 2012.
Khan, who had been based in Stoke-on-Trent, was handed an indeterminate sentence for public protection, with a minimum term of eight years – meaning he could have been kept in prison for as long he was deemed to be a threat to the public.
The sentence was quashed at the Court of Appeal in April 2013 and he was given a determinate 16-year jail term, with a five-year extended licence period, under legislation which meant he was released automatically halfway through the sentence.
Sentencing law changed later in 2012, and if Khan was given the same sentence today he would have had to serve at least two-thirds of it.