News, Culture & Society

Policeman and one other shot dead during Dallas stand-off

  • The gunman is now in custody following a prolonged standoff with a SWAT team
  • He barricaded himself into an apartment block in the Richardson area, police say
  • Residents were urged to stay inside their homes as the gunman fired randomly 
  • The policeman, 37, is reported to have been shot in the neck – he died in hospital

A police officer and a civilian are reported to have been shot dead Wednesday by a gunman in Dallas who is now in custody after a prolonged standoff with a SWAT team. 

Police say the violence began when an officer was checking a disturbance in Richardson and located the gunman at an apartment complex.

He had barricaded himself into an apartment and was randomly firing his weapon, reported. Police made residents stay inside their apartments for their own safety. 

The suspected gunman was taken into custody after being barricaded in an apartment in suburban Dallas Wednesday night after a four- hour stand-off

Witnesses reported hearing several gunshots coming from inside the complex, while officers kept residents inside their units for their safety.

The police officer, 37, is reported to have succumbed to his injuries in hospital after he was shot in the neck.   

The civilian who died has not been identified.

The alleged gunman was taken into police custody after surrendering just before midnight following a four-hour standoff with SWAT officers.

No other injuries have been reported. 

‘We are confirming that we have lost one of our own. Our officer is deceased. We are not identifying him at this time. We ask for your prayers during this tragedy, Richardson police tweeted.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott said in a tweet: ‘The hearts and soul of Texas mourn with you. Your loss is a loss to all law enforcement and everyone in our great state. Texas will honor the lost officer with the dignity he deserves. May God rest his soul. And may his legacy live on in others’ service.’