Pop star Robbie Williams sues the Australian Grand Prix for $8MILLION in lost proceeds after his performance was cancelled when the race was called off at the last minute over Covid
- World Touring Melbourne to sue Australian Grand Prix for snap cancellation
- Performance from British pop star Robbie Williams cancelled one day before
- Agency is suing for $7.5 million in costs incurred and $1.1 million in lost profits
- The event was cancelled one day before it was due to kick off in March 2020
British pop star Robbie Williams will sue the Australian Grand Prix for $8 million after his 2020 performance was scrapped at the last minute.
A day before Williams was due to take the stage, punters were told over megaphone the entire event would be cancelled due to Covid-19 concerns.
Alongside Williams, Miley Cyrus and The Veronica’s were booked to perform at the 2020 Formula One, due to be held over four days in Melbourne in March.
The multi-million dollar event is held each year at Melbourne’s Albert Park drawing in massive crowds but was cancelled two years in a row, in 2020 and 2021.
British pop star Robbie Williams (pictured with Aussie driver Daniel Ricciardo hours before his 2020 performance was cancelled) will sue the Australian Grand Prix for $8 million
A day before Williams (pictured on March 12, 2020) was due to take the stage, punters were told over megaphone the entire event would be cancelled due to Covid-19 concerns
World Touring Melbourne claims the snap cancellation was in breach of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation’s obligations, The Age reported.
According to a writ filed in the Supreme Court last week, the touring agency demands $7.594 million for costs incurred and $1.128 million in lost profits.
In the writ, the agency lists the cost of venue hire, sound and lighting, publicity, legal fees, and backstage catering amounting to $32,500.
World Touring Melbourne said it was only told the gig would be cancelled during a teleconference with the Australian Grand Prix and local touring partner Dainty just after midday on March 13.
The agency claims the notification came just a day before the event was due to begin and Williams was scheduled to take the stage.
According to the writ, it said the corporation was responsible for ‘undertaking and facilitating the organisation, conduct, management and promotion of annual Formula One events at Albert Park’.
World Touring Melbourne claims the cancellation came just a day before the event was due to begin and Williams (pictured with his wife Ayda in 2019) was due to take the stage
According to a writ filed in the Supreme Court last week, the touring agency demands $7.594 million for costs incurred and $1.128 million in lost profits (pictured, fans gather outside the gates just hours before the event was cancelled)
Australian Grand Prix Corporation general manager of corporate affairs and communications Haydn Lane said as the matter was before the courts he would not be commenting.
Disappointed fans were refunded the $99 they paid for tickets to see the pop star.
The 2021 Formula One event was also cancelled due to ongoing logistical issues caused by the pandemic, after the race was pushed back from March to November.
F1 officials asked the Victorian Government if drivers and team members could be put into a strict quarantine bubble instead of having to complete the mandatory two-week stint in hotels due to racing schedules.
The multi-million dollar event is held each year at Melbourne’s Albert Park drawing in massive crowds but was cancelled two years in a row, in 2020 and 2021 (pictured is the 2020 event)
Pictured is a press conference from Chase Carey, Andrew Westacott, Michael Masi and Paul Little is held at Albert Park after the 2020 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix was cancelled
AGPC chairman Paul Little said at the time of the cancellation last July: ‘We’re deeply disappointed that for a second consecutive year, both MotoGP and Formula One fans won’t be able to see the world’s best riders and drivers compete at the wonderful Phillip Island and Albert Park Grand Prix Circuits.’
‘We appreciate the challenge Australia faces with current international travel restrictions and the importance of vaccinations.’
The 2023 Formula One event will begin in Melbourne on Thursday with punters to be treated to performances from four Australian artists.
Tickets for the highly anticipated event, the first in two years since the pandemic hit, sold out 18 weeks before the race.
About 130,000 racegoers are expected to watch the action on Saturday and Sunday.
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk