Potato and Lentil Pasties
If you want to use all the filling for pasties, either buy two rolls of pastry to make ten pasties and freeze some or halve the lentil mixture
This is a very versatile recipe – there are so many variations you can do with this one for everyone to enjoy. I tend to use just one roll of pastry and make the rest of the filling into a supper for me and my husband Simon by adding an extra handful of spinach, some baby tomatoes and prawns then heating through. If you want to use all the filling for pasties, either buy two rolls of pastry to make ten pasties and freeze some or halve the lentil mixture. These can also be plant-based if you leave out the cheese and use some grated courgette instead plus vegan pastry.
Makes 5 pasties
Prep 25 minutes
Cook 20 minutes
250g new potatoes, cut into 5mm cubes
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground cumin
40g spinach, diced
250g cooked puy lentils
80g cheddar, grated
2 rolls of shop-bought puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6 and line a tray with baking paper. Put the potatoes into a pan and cover with the water to 1cm above the potatoes. Cook on a high heat until all the water is absorbed and the potatoes are soft. If they are not soft before the water is absorbed, add a touch more.
- Once the water is absorbed, add the oil, cumin, spinach and lentils. Stir until the spinach wilts, then add the cheese and take off the heat.
- Roll out the pastry, if it isn’t already rolled out, to 3mm-4mm thick. Fold one corner over so that it forms a triangle, then cut around. Repeat this until you have five folded-over triangle pieces.
- Put 1 tablespoon of mixture into the centre of half a triangle, brush the inside edges with egg and fold the other side over the top.
- Push down the edges with a fork then pop the prongs into the top of the middle of the pasty so there are little holes for air to go into it. Repeat this process with the other triangles.
- Brush egg wash over the top of the pasties, put on to the lined tray and into the oven for 20 minutes. (You can also freeze them: once you have made the pasties and brushed on the egg, put into freezer bags. Cook from frozen for 25 minutes.)
Change It Up Mix the lentil filling through a sauce, such as pesto or mushroom and tomato, with pasta or rice.