News, Culture & Society

Prince Andrew ‘is allowed to keep his £300,000-a-year bodyguards’

Prince Andrew ‘is allowed to keep his £300,000-a-year bodyguards after the Queen intervened’

  • Duke of York was meant to lose his £300,000-a-year bodyguards last Monday
  • A source has claimed The Queen intervened with the cost-cutting measure 
  • Prince Andrew will now be allowed to keep security team as cuts are reviewed 

Prince Andrew has been allowed to keep his £300,000-a-year bodyguards after the Queen intervened, it has emerged today. 

The three-strong security team was supposed to be axed last Monday, until the Queen allegedly asked her aides to reverse the decision.

It comes several months after the Duke of York, 60, was forced to step down from his royal duties amid scandal over his friendship with paedophile Jeffrey Epstein. 

The Queen allegedly asked her aides to reverse the decision

The Duke of York’s three-strong security team was supposed to be axed last Monday, until the Queen allegedly asked her aides to reverse the decision

This is not the first time the Queen has allegedly stepped forward to help her third-born child. Pictured together in June 2019

This is not the first time the Queen has allegedly stepped forward to help her third-born child. Pictured together in June 2019

The three bodyguards are thought to cost around £100,000-a-year each in wages, flights, perks and hotels, reported the Sun. 

A royal source told the newspaper: ‘The Queen has made it clear that she was not happy with the proposal. It has been stopped and will be reviewed over the next few weeks.’

The protection officers were set to be scrapped amid proposed cuts in the taxpayer funding of Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Sophie Wessex and their families. 

The Home Office launched the review earlier this year and estimates have tallied the total cost of royal security, paid by the taxpayer, at £100 million-a-year. 

This comes as the Duke and Duchess of York have put their luxury Swiss chalet on the market for £18.3 million – exactly what they are believed to have paid for it six years ago.

The Mail on Sunday understands there have yet to be any expressions of interest from potential buyers of the seven-bedroom Verbier lodge, the subject of legal action between the couple and a French socialite.

The chalet, reportedly boasting a 650 square foot indoor swimming pool, sauna, sun terrace and bar, is being sold to repay a £6.7 million debt to former owner Isabelle de Rouvre. 

The luxury Swiss chalet (pictured) belonging to Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson has been placed on the market by the couple for £18.3million

The luxury Swiss chalet (pictured) belonging to Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson has been placed on the market by the couple for £18.3million

Prince Andrew (pictured) would use the chalet during skiing trips to Verbier

The chalet, which also belongs to the Duchess of York (pictured), is the subject of a legal dispute between the couple and French socialite Isabelle de Rouvre

The Duke and Duchess of York (both pictured) have yet to receive any interest in the seven-bed Verbier lodge

She is suing the couple after they failed to pay the final instalment due by New Year’s Day.

Last night, a friend of the Yorks said: ‘They will in effect make a loss, but they just want to repay the debt as quickly as possible.’

The Yorks, whose finances have been hit after Prince Andrew stepped down from Royal duties after a ‘car-crash’ interview about his relationship with sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, claim Ms de Rouvre knew they intended to sell the chalet to repay the money.

Last night a spokesman for the Duke declined to comment. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.