Prince Andrew will be absent from the Order of the Garter Day procession at Windsor Castle for a second year in a row, it has been reported.
The second son of the late Queen had been a mainstay at the event – which sees the monarch and knights ride out wearing velvet robes and plumed hats – for many years.
But it is understood the Duke of York will be elsewhere when the hallowed event in the Royal calendar takes place in June 19, The Daily Express reports.
Sources say the prince was hoping to appear in part of the procession, after being banned from the event last year.
He has been lobbying The King for a return to public life, with renewed hopes after he was allowed to wear his ceremonial robes during the Coronation last month.
Prince Andrew was allowed to wear his Royal Garter ceremonial robes at the coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla at Westminster Abbey
The Duke of York was stripped of his Royal patronages by the last Queen last year, and the King appears to have no plans to return them to him
Prince Andrew’s removal from the Garter Day procession last year was said to have been insisted upon by the King (left) and Prince of Wales (right)
Commentators were surprise to see the Duke wearing the Order of the Garter robes at Westminster Abbey, as it had been made clear he was longer a working member of the Royal Family.
But the palace appears to have since doubled down on its policy of limiting his public engagements.
Sources told the Express that Prince Andrew’s ban from the Garter procession last year set a precedent which the Royal Family intends to follow up.
It is unknown as yet whether he will attend the private events of the day such as the investiture and the lunch.
Prince Andrew lives in the grounds of Windsor Castle and had daily contact with his mother before her death on September 8 last year.
King Charles is said to have ‘no power’ to kick Prince Andrew out of his home at Royal Lodge in Windsor, while sources add the Duke has ‘no plans’ to vacate.
An insider claims the monarch will be unable to remove the disgraced royal from the property because his brother’s name is on the lease, not the royal family’s.
It has been reported that the Royal Lodge had been lined up for Prince William and Kate to move into.
But Andrew reportedly intends to honour the lease he signed in 2003 – which expires in 75 years – by refusing to move out of the £30million mansion.
This is despite alleged pressure from Buckingham Palace to move to Frogmore Cottage, a smaller residence on the Windsor estate previously lived in by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Sources close to Prince Andrew (pictured) claimed he will not vacate his home at Royal Lodge for Prince William and Kate and that the King has no power to remove him
Andrew moved into the luxury home following the death of the Queen Mother in 2002. He was granted the residence by his mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II and lives there with his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson
There is pressure from Buckingham Palace to move to Frogmore Cottage, a smaller residence on the Windsor estate previously lived in by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex
An insider, who is in regular contact with Andrew, told The Times: ‘The lease is in the duke’s name so no one can take that away from him.
‘It has never been suggested that it could be taken away from him. It’s a long lease with 80 to 90 years left on it.
‘This is a lease between him and the Crown Estate. That’s not a matter for the King. It’s a matter for the chancellor of the exchequer. The only way you could get him to move out would be through an arrangement — he would have to agree.’
A friend told the Mail On Sunday that Andrew is feeling down and ‘refusing to budge’ from the property, which is believed to have been set aside for the Prince and Princess of Wales and their three children.
‘He is so fragile,’ the friend told the Mail. Reports have swirled that Andrew has been in low spirits and even reclusive.
‘He’s refusing to see anybody. This has been his family home for the past 20 years. Is it really sensible to kick him out?’
They added: ‘He’s concerned that now the Coronation is over, the knives are out. He’s worried that the royals might even turn off the utilities to get him out of there. But we’re dealing with human beings, not real estate.’
It is widely understood that Royal Lodge, once occupied by the Queen Mother, has been earmarked for Prince William and his family.
Andrew moved into the luxury home following the death of the Queen Mother in 2002.
He was granted the residence by his mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II and lives there with his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson.
Tom Bower, who has written biographies about the King and Prince Harry, told The Times: ‘I think the King is right. He’s got to slim down the number of houses in the royal portfolio and Andrew has got to come to terms with his fate. He can no longer live like a duke. Frogmore will be a cold shower for him, but he’s just got to take it.
Prince Harry and Meghan previously live in Frogmore Cottage (pictured inside the cottage)
The late Queen’s second son enjoying a horse ride in the sunshine in Windsor
The couple will also retain Anmer Hall, which the paper reports they will continue to use ‘regularly’
Bower added that Frogmore Cottage has five bedrooms — two fewer than Royal Lodge — and was an ‘obvious step down for the duke’.
What is the Order of the Garter? How King Edward III was so inspired by tales of King Arthur he set up his own group of knights almost 700 years ago
In medieval times, King Edward III was so inspired by tales of King Arthur and the chivalry of the Knights of the Round Table that he set up his own group of honourable knights, called the Order of the Garter.
Nearly 700 years later, the Order is the oldest and most senior Order of Chivalry in Britain. The Knights, now both male and female, used to be limited to aristocracy, but today they are chosen from a variety of backgrounds, in recognition for their public service.
The patron saint of the Order is St George (patron saint of soldiers and also of England) and if there are vacancies in the Order, appointments are announced on St George’s Day (23 April).
The spiritual home of the Order is St George’s Chapel, Windsor. Every knight is required to display a banner of his arms in the Chapel, together with a helmet, crest and sword and an enamelled stallplate.
These ‘achievements’ are taken down on the knight’s death and the insignia are returned to the Sovereign. The stallplates remain as a memorial and these now form one of the finest collections of heraldry in the world.
Knights of the Garter are chosen personally by the Sovereign to honour those who have held public office, who have contributed in a particular way to national life or who have served the Sovereign personally.
As sovereign and heir, The Queen and Prince Charles are automatically given membership of the Order and are considered ‘ex officio knights’. The Prince of Wales is known as a Royal Knight Companion of the Garter.
The sovereign, known as the Sovereign of the Garter, is the only one with the power to admit new members.
The Garter is open to British and Commonwealth citizens. Notable former members include Sir Winston Churchill, Stanley Baldwin and Sir Edmund Hillary.
Field Marshall, the Lord Bramall, a former Chief of the Defence Staff, the Duke of Abercorn, the Duke of Westminster and Baroness Manningham-Buller, the former Director-General of MI5, are among the current Knights and Ladies of the Garter.
There are also two orders of ‘extra’ knights. Members of the Royal Knights and Ladies include Prince Philip, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, Prince Charles, the Princess Royal and Prince William.
A second order, the Stranger Knights and Ladies, is bestowed on foreign rulers such as Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Harald V of Norway.
Although new additions are named on St. George’s Day, the 23 April, the initiation ceremony takes place in Junmantle during the traditional Garter Procession, which sees members parade through Windsor.
The annual iconic Garter Day procession, where The Queen and the Knights process in grand velvet robes, glistening insignia and plumed hats, is one of the most traditional ceremonies in the Queen’s calendar.
Every June, a grand procession of the knights takes place at Windsor Castle, accompanied by a marching band and Officers of the Order, all in grand ceremonial dress.
The day begins with The Queen formally investing any new Companions with the Order’s insignia in the Throne Room of the Castle. The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh entertain the members and officers at a lunch, and then all process on foot to a service in St. George’s Chapel.
There is a short service where any new Companions are installed. The Sovereign and other members of the Order then return to the Upper Ward of the castle in carriages and cars.
The Duke’s younger daughter Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank welcomed their second son earlier this month – Ernest – but kept news of his birth secret for almost a week.
The arrival was clearly joyful news for the whole family as grandfather Prince Andrew was spotted beaming in his Range Rover yesterday.
The couple also shared a picture of big brother August gently stroking the newborn on the head.
The baby has been named Ernest George Ronnie Brooksbank and was born last Tuesday weighing a healthy 7lb 1oz.
His names were inspired by his great-great-great grandfather George V, founder of the Windsor dynasty, whose middle name was also Ernest; Mr Brooksbank’s late father George; and Eugenie’s maternal grandfather, Ronald Ferguson, father of Sarah, Duchess of York.
Writing on Instagram alongside the photo of the baby and August, two, the princess said: ‘Augie is loving being a big brother already.’
Buckingham Palace said: ‘Princess Eugenie and Mr Jack Brooksbank are delighted to announce the safe arrival of their son.’
Their new baby is 13th in line to the throne, pushing his great-uncle Prince Edward, the Duke of Edinburgh, down to 14th in the order of succession.
Ernest will not receive a title and – according to rules laid down by George V in 1917 – is not entitled to be called His Royal Highness.
Princess Eugenie, 33, who is an HRH, and her husband, 37, (both pictured right) have jobs outside the Royal Family and do not undertake official duties. It is expected that their sons will follow suit.
Weeks after she stripped him of his titles, the late Queen asked him to accompany her to Prince Philip’s memorial service at Westminster Abbey in March 2022, where he walked his mother down the aisle in a highly symbolic moment.
But palace aides – as well as his relatives – are said to have been clear that the strength of public feeling against over his links to Epstein, must preclude him from taking part in frontline royal duties.
Despite his non-appearance, the duke believes he should be included in other royal and state events, The Daily Telegraph reported.
‘The colonelcy of the Grenadier Guards was his most coveted title and he wants it back,’ a source said.
‘Having remained a Counsellor of State, he also believes he should be included at royal and state events. Most importantly for him is his status as an HRH and ‘Prince of the Blood’ and he feels that should be reinstated and his position recognised and respected.’
Andrew became Colonel of the Grenadier Guards five years ago after his father, Prince Philip, stepped back from public life – and is said to have particularly enjoyed the role.
It is claimed he wanted to wear the formal uniform of the rank at the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral in 2021, prompting a decision that all royal men would wear civilian morning coats to avoid any embarrassment.
A royal source said at the time that the ‘Andrew problem’ needed fixing. Another source told The Mail on Sunday: ‘Clearly at some point soon, thought will have to be given as to how to support the duke as, [away] from the public gaze, he seeks slowly to rebuild his life in a different direction.’
There was the suggestion that one option could see the duke spending more time in Scotland but a full-time move there is thought to be unlikely.
Royal biographer Angela Levin said: ‘Andrew should be ashamed of himself.
‘His demand to return to duty was outrageous. It clearly showed he was not concerned about what happened with his court case.
‘He was not found guilty – but, my goodness, there is a massive amount of grubbiness surrounding him.’
Prince Andrew has denied the allegations.
It has long been reported that the couple could one day move into Windsor Castle. The Queen spent much of her time at the Berkshire castle following the death of her beloved Prince Phillip.
However it is understood Prince Charles does not plan to spend as much time there when he becomes king.
It has previously been reported that the Prince of Wales plans to spend much of his time at Buckingham Palace during his reign.
Prince William and Kate were centre stage at the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations last year, appearing on the royal balcony twice and during Saturday night’s Party at the Palace celebrations.
They were also joined by Prince George and Princess Charlotte as they brought the Platinum Jubilee celebrations to Wales while visiting concert rehearsals at Cardiff Castle.