Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s security detail is branded ‘unworkable’ as costs for the Sussexes set to soar to £20m a year
- Experts said the couple have been acting like the ‘rules don’t apply to them’
- Questions has arisen as to who will continue to foot their security bills
- Scotland Yard said to be facing increasing pressure from the couple
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s security situation has been branded ‘unworkable’ as it’s revealed that the couple’s cost could soar to £20 million a year.
Experts claimed the couple’s jet-set lifestyle could leave the police unable to cope as they undertake trips to various countries in order to establish their own brand away from the British Monarchy.
A row has reportedly broken out as to who will foot the bill to keep the couple and their son Archie safe as they continue to live in Canada.
The independent couple could push costs to the extreme as they continue to act, as ‘the rules don’t apply to them’.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are pictured above earlier this month. It is said that costs to keep the couple safe are continuing to soar
Harry, Meghan and their son Archie (above) have all been in different places in recent months which is said to have added to their security costs
Speaking to The Mirror, Dai Davies, former Met protection officer said their situation has called for a ‘complete ripping up of the rule book’.
‘In their current state the plans are unworkable.
‘There is already a severe lack of trained officers and this is only adding to the Met’s woes.’
Harry Meghan and their son Archie have been in different locations over the last few months and officers are believed to be drafting new plans to double their protection team.
The couple had also previously taken security measures at the property they were staying at in Canada (above)
The couple married in 2018 and earlier this year they announced they would be stepping back from their royal duties
Harry and Meghan’s security bill could soar to £20 million a year, sparking anger and a row over who will foot the bill.
Now an internal memo seen by The Mirror has revealed that there is a staffing crisis within the team that supports the Royals and that Scotland Yard is facing increasing demand from them.
It calculated that estimations of £3million to £6million a year were ‘inadequate’ and that Harry and Meghan would need at least 12 protection officers, who earn salaries of £106,000.
It is believed to have stated that the Met has been told to deliver the calculations to the Government and that costs could reach £20 million.
The couple still require effective security for their young family and they had previously sparked fury after it was revealed they insisted the UK tax payer should still splurge on their safety.
Security sources last night said that there is ‘no agreement or concrete plan’ in place when it comes to who will actually fund their security team.
Labour MP Stephen Doughty said he supported the couple’s choice to embark on a more private life but added that questions over costs needed to be addressed.
His comments come as cuts have been made to local police forces up and down the country, leaving many towns and cities struggling to police their respective areas.
It has been estimated that costs for their security include a £5 million bill for officers stationed at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor while the couple reside in the UK.
They are due to officially leave the British Monarchy on March 31.
The Met said they were unable to discuss matters of protective security.