News, Culture & Society

Prince William’s fears for the Queen and Prince Philip

Prince William admitted he has been concerned for the health of his father and grandparents during the coronavirus crisis. 

William, 37, said in a BBC News interview broadcast this morning that he was ‘worried’ when he first learned Prince Charles, 71, had been diagnosed with COVID-19 because the virus is ‘fairly risky’ for someone of his age. 

Speaking via video link from his home in Norfolk, William also revealed the family is doing all it can to protect the Queen, 93, and Prince Philip, 98, from the virus. The couple have been in isolation at Windsor Castle for a number of weeks.

Prince William admitted he has been concerned for the health of his father and grandparents during a video call with the Duchess of Cambridge on BBC News today, pictured

William said: ‘Obviously I think very carefully about my grandparents – who are the age they’re at, we’re doing everything we can to make sure that they’re isolated away and protected from this.’ 

Prince Charles spent two weeks self-isolating at Birkhall, his home on the Queen’s Balmoral estate, after testing positive for coronavirus last month. 

Prince William confessed he had feared for his father’s health at the time. 

He said: ‘I have to admit, at first I was quite concerned, he fits the profile of somebody, at the age he is at, which is fairly risky.’ 

William said the family is doing all it can to protect the Queen and Prince Philip from the virus. Pictured, the Queen on an engagement on March 3, before the lockdown

William said the family is doing all it can to protect the Queen and Prince Philip from the virus. Pictured, the Queen on an engagement on March 3, before the lockdown

But he added that he was optimistic Charles would recover. ‘My father has had many chest infections, colds, and things like that over the years. And so, I thought to myself, if anybody is going to be able to beat this, it’s going to be him.

‘And actually he was very lucky, he had mild symptoms. I think the hardest thing he found was having to stop. And not being able to go and get a bit of fresh air and a walk.

‘He’s a mad walker and just loves walking so I think he found it quite difficult. Especially, also I think with his mental health, being stuck inside and not being able to go for walks.’

William also said of his father: ‘Actually he was very lucky he had mild symptoms and I got a lot of good reassurance from doctors and friends of mine who said “listen, the days he’s on when we found out about it, he’s probably passed the worst of it”.

‘And obviously speaking to him made me feel more reassured that he was OK, but again at that age you do worry a bit more.’   

William, 37, said in a BBC News interview broadcast this morning that he was 'worried' when he first learned Prince Charles , 71, had been diagnosed with COVID-19 because the virus is 'fairly risky' for someone of his age. Pictured, Charles and Camilla at Birkhall on 8 April

William, 37, said in a BBC News interview broadcast this morning that he was ‘worried’ when he first learned Prince Charles , 71, had been diagnosed with COVID-19 because the virus is ‘fairly risky’ for someone of his age. Pictured, Charles and Camilla at Birkhall on 8 April

Prince William and Kate Middleton gave a Zoom interview with BBC News in which they discussed life with their three children at Anmer Hall. 

The Duchess talked about how the couple had kept a strict regime while home schooling their children Prince George, six, Princess Charlotte, four, and Prince Louis, who is two next week, in the past month.

The couple said it was also important to avoid scaring their children and making it ‘too overwhelming’, but added that home schooling was ‘fun’ and the children had been pitching tents, cooking and baking.

The Queen and Prince Philip have been in isolation at Windsor Castle for a number of weeks. Pictured, the Queen conducting her weekly audience with the Prime Minister over the phone from Windsor Castle on 25 March

The Queen and Prince Philip have been in isolation at Windsor Castle for a number of weeks. Pictured, the Queen conducting her weekly audience with the Prime Minister over the phone from Windsor Castle on 25 March

And speaking about continuing the home schooling throughout the Easter holidays this month, the Duchess said: ‘We don’t tell the children we’ve actually kept going through the holidays. I feel very mean.’

Kate also said the family had been through ‘ups and downs’ during the lockdown ‘like lots of families’ since it was imposed on March 23, but they had stayed in touch with other family members using video conferencing apps.

The Duke of Cambridge also described how the three-week lockdown has been ‘frustrating’ for many people as ‘pressure, stress and isolation’ has been building up. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk