News, Culture & Society

Princess Mary and Prince Frederik rip their eldest son Christian, 16, out of Herlufsholm

Princess Mary and Prince Frederik rip their eldest son Christian, 16, out of prestigious Danish school amid horrific bullying and sexual assault allegations

  • Danish royal couple have taken their eldest son Christian out of boarding school
  • The 16-year-old was attending prestigious Herlufsholm Boarding School
  • His sister Isabella, 15, was due to start at the same school at the end of the year
  • There have been allegations of serious bullying and sexual assaults at the school
  • Aussie-born Mary is a huge proponent for the anti-bullying movement 

Princess Mary and Prince Frederik have removed their eldest son Christian from a prestigious Danish high school after serious allegations of sexual assault and bullying were levelled against the establishment.

The Danish royal family have also confirmed their second eldest child, Isabella, will not be attending the Herlufsholm Boarding School towards the end of the year as they had originally planned. 

‘The question about our son Christian’s and our daughter Isabella’s choice of school has been very important for us, and the unfortunate matter has brought many and strong opinions into play in the public,’ Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary said in a joint statement on Sunday.

Princess Mary and Prince Frederik have removed their eldest son Christian from a prestigious Danish high school after serious allegations of sexual assault and bullying were levelled against the establishment

‘That is completely understandable when it deals with the well-being of children and young people. At the same time, it has been important to stand by our basic idea that major decisions must be made on an informed basis. We now have that basis.’

Herlufsholm Boarding School became the subject of a documentary that saw two former students describe their dealings with sexual assault and another of corporal punishment. 

Four students were expelled by the school for taking part in the alleged abuse and filming parts of it.

Prince Christian, who is 16 and first joined the school in August last year, is not connected to the allegations in any way.

Prince Christian, who is 16 and first joined the school in August last year, is not connected to the allegations in any way

Prince Christian, who is 16 and first joined the school in August last year, is not connected to the allegations in any way

The Danish royal family have also confirmed their second eldest child, Isabella, will not be attending the Herlufsholm Boarding School towards the end of the year as they had originally planned

The Danish royal family have also confirmed their second eldest child, Isabella, will not be attending the Herlufsholm Boarding School towards the end of the year as they had originally planned

The statement continued: ‘It has been a difficult process for us as a family, but, based on the overall picture and our special position as Crown Prince Couple, we have chosen that Prince Christian will stop at Herlufsholm and that Princess Isabella will not start in ninth class at the school after the summer holiday.

‘During the summer, we, together with our children, will make a decision about their future choice of schools.

‘With thoughts about the many students who will continue at Herlufsholm, it is our hope that the school now gets more peace to ensure the necessary changes and succeeds in creating a culture in which all thrive and feel safe.’

When the documentary first came to light in May the royal family were swift in their response, sharing their deep disappointment with the rest of Europe. 

‘As parents of a child who goes to Herlufsholm, we are deeply shaken by the testimonies that have emerged in the current documentary about the school,’ the couple said on May 4.

When the documentary first came to light in May the royal family were swift in their response, sharing their deep disappointment with the rest of Europe

When the documentary first came to light in May the royal family were swift in their response, sharing their deep disappointment with the rest of Europe

‘It is heartbreaking to hear about systematic bullying and about the culture of abuse and violence that many have been a part of.

‘That is completely unacceptable. As parents, we expect the school to effectively ensure a culture where everyone is safe and part of the community, and we will in the coming time follow the changes that are obviously necessary.’

Herlufsholm was founded almost 500 years ago for Danish nobility and has seen a number of royals and political figures attend.

Herlufsholm was founded almost 500 years ago for Danish nobility and has seen a number of royals and political figures attend (Prince Christian pictured)

Herlufsholm was founded almost 500 years ago for Danish nobility and has seen a number of royals and political figures attend (Prince Christian pictured)

The school’s principal Mikkel Kjellberg, who was fired shortly after the documentary came to light, said the allegations contained within the television program were ‘very old cases have been used from another time – where the culture at Herlufsholm was different’.

‘Bullying, violence or sexual abuse is not acceptable at Herlufsholm School,’ Kjellberg said at the time.

It’s not yet known where the Danish royal children will spend the remainder of their senior schooling years. 

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk