News, Culture & Society

Property auction ends in disaster after owner sets entire house on fire

Going once, going twice… Property auction ends in disaster after owner lights fire to ‘create ambiance’ – and sets the entire house alight

  •  A house in a Melbourne suburb caught fire DURING a property inspection
  • The owner had lit the fire to ‘add atmosphere’ to the house during the viewing
  • One of the potential buyers noticed something was wrong and alerted staff
  • The whole of the upper level went up in flames and requires repair works  

A property auction has ended in disaster after a house caught fire midway through an inspection.

Greg Hocking, owner of Greg Hocking Real Estate, confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that it had been a cold winter day in Melbourne’s Middle Park suburb so the owner of the property had decided to light a fire to ‘add atmosphere’ to the viewing on Saturday.

However the plan quickly backfired as flames from the fireplace spread through the upper level of the house. 

The owner was trying to ‘add atmosphere’ to the property in Middle Park when it caught fire

Hocking believes the fire spread due to material in the chimney catching fire 

Hocking believes the fire spread due to material in the chimney catching fire 

The property incurred heavy damage to its upper floor and requires reparations

The property incurred heavy damage to its upper floor and requires reparations

The fire blazed on as the inspection opened to the public.

One of the viewers of the house noticed something wasn’t right when they smelt smoke and raised the alarm to a member of staff.

Everyone inside the building ran outside onto the street. No one was harmed in the incident. 

Potential buyers were inspecting the property as the upper floor slowly went up in flames

Potential buyers were inspecting the property as the upper floor slowly went up in flames

Everyone who was inside the building at the time ran out onto the street to avoid the fire

Everyone who was inside the building at the time ran out onto the street to avoid the fire

‘It added a bit of excitement to their day,’ Hocking joked.  

The upper level of the property in Melbourne’s inner suburb incurred some damage and repair work is required.

According to Hocking, the fire is believed to have spread due to material in the chimney, which caught fire.   

Advertisement

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk