Queensland records three new Covid cases including a 12-year-old and a fully-vaccinated airport worker – forcing restrictions to be extended for a week
- New exposure sites were listed in Queensland on Wednesday evening
Queensland reported three new cases of locally aquired Covid cases on Thursday morning.
One person was a 12-year-old boy who completed quarantine in Sydney and flew into Brisbane on QF544 on July 9.
The 12-year-old boy’s mother had also tested positive.
Additionally, a fully vaccinated international airport worker had tested positive.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the mask mandate would continue for another week for 11 LGAs, including Brisbane City Council, Logan, Moreton Bay, Ipswich, Redlands, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Noosa, Somerset, Lockyer Valley and Scenic Rim.
Restrictions would be eased for Townsville.
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young hoped genome sequencing would establish how the 12-year-old boy acquired the virus later on Thursday.
The boy had travelled with his mother to Los Angeles for three months, returning to Sydney on June 21 and entering hotel quarantine.
He and his mother, from Newport in Brisbane, then travelled to Queensland on Qantas flight 544 on July 9.
Dr Young expressed concern about the airport worker who had tested positive.
‘I am very concerned about the Brisbane International airport worker,’ she said. ‘They have been working at the airport for three days while infectious. Nothing to do with them. They did absolutely the right thing and they were vaccinated.
‘But we now have to see where they have been working, who they have come into contact with.’
Queensland Health listed seven new coronavirus exposure sites in Brisbane on Wednesday evening after being tipped off by an unnamed country that a Covid-positive person had been moving around the city while infected.
A public health alert was issued for new sites at North Ipswich, Inala and at the Brisbane Airport.
‘Queensland Health has been notified by another country that a positive COVID-19 case detected overseas had been in the community prior to departure,’ the department said in an alert last night.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Queensland government said it would keep the NSW border open, saying the Greater Sydney lockdown was containing the city’s COVID-19 outbreak.