Queensland records its first new case of coronavirus in 10 days – an Australian Defence Force officer returning from overseas
- Queensland confirmed a new coronavirus case after a 10-day COVID-free streak
- The case comes from a returning ADF member who tested positive in quarantine
- It’s the only positive test overnight after 2700 tests were conducted on Monday
Queensland has confirmed a new coronavirus case after a 10-day COVID-free streak.
The first recorded case since June 26 has come from a returning Australian Defence Force member who tested positive while in quarantine after returning from overseas.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was the only positive test overnight after 2700 tests were conducted on Monday.
It takes the state’s total to 1068, with two cases still active.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was the only positive test overnight after 2700 tests were conducted on Monday
The news comes as pressure mounts on Queensland to accept more international flights to help Victoria and NSW where the bulk of returning passengers are placed in isolation.
Hotel quarantine has been a source of outbreaks in Melbourne.
But Ms Palaszczuk said Australia needs to reduce the influx of international flights to ease the pressure on state governments having to quarantine passengers.
‘I think we need to minimise the amount of international flights coming into Australia,’ Ms Palaszczuk said.
‘I think we need to be very cautious and I think slowing down flights will be a good thing at this stage.’
However, she said the state was prepared to receive more international passengers if required.
Four international flights are expected to arrive in Brisbane on Tuesday with more than 400 passengers.
Queensland cases as of Tuesday, July 7
– 1 new confirmed cases
– 2 active cases
– 1,068 total confirmed cases
– 395,027 tests conducted
– Six Queenslanders dead
– 1,055 patients recovered
‘Of course, we’re prepared to help out,’ Ms Palaszczuk said.
Ms Palaszczuk said accommodation bookings were on par with the same time last year ahead of the borders reopening on Friday in time for the second week of the NSW school holidays.
‘My information is that Gold Coast bookings are the basically the same as this time last year,’ she said.
She warned of long delays at border crossings, urging travellers to factor that into their plans.
Before the new case was announced, Queensland’s only active coronavirus case was an 81-year-old man who spent almost four months in hospital battling the illness
He’s recovering in Gold Coast University Hospital where he was transferred out of ICU on June 18.