Queensland records just one new coronavirus case in hotel quarantine as it removes all restrictions on aged care facilities
- Queensland’s aged care homes can now reopen to visitors with restrictions lifted
- The state recorded one new case – a returning overseas traveller in quarantine
- Officials are confident two teens who dodged quarantine didn’t spread the virus
- The move comes two days after the state’s border with New South Wales closed
- Six people were refused entry at airports, with 197 people placed in quarantine
Queensland’s aged care homes can now reopen to visitors, as the state records just one new coronavirus case – a returned overseas traveller in hotel quarantine.
Authorities made the decision to remove all restrictions on nursing homes after becoming confident two infected teens who dodged quarantine did not spread the virus.
Health officials had been on high alert for an outbreak linked to the women who spent a week moving around the community after returning from Melbourne in July.
‘Today was the very important day,’ Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said, referring to the end of the two-week period since police placed the women in isolation.
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said Queensland could ‘safely’ reopen aged care homes again, but the Bolton Clarke aged care facility (pictured) will remain closed for another day to monitor an outbreak
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said Queensland could ‘safely’ reopen aged care facilities again. Pictured: A resident is taken away in an ambulance from Epping Gardens Aged Care Facility
‘Aged care restrictions will be lifted, which I know means a lot to the families, especially over the last week or so when they have not been able to see their loved ones.’
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said Queensland could ‘safely’ reopen aged care facilities again.
‘We still need to be very cautious, very careful at all times, because our aged care facilities have the most vulnerable people in our society living in them,’ she said.
Dr Young said Bolton Clarke aged care facility in Brisbane’s southwest would need to remain closed for another day and a half.
‘It needs to stay closed for another 1.5 days until we have confirmation that that potential outbreak is over,’ she said.
Health Minister Steven Miles said Queensland experienced a ‘really good weekend’.
‘It means we have avoided the risks of a widespread outbreak from those returning cases from Melbourne and it means that the Chief Health Officer can now act to lift those restrictions on aged care,’ he said.
It comes two days after the state’s border with NSW closed.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the restrictions on aged care facilities would be lifted on Monday
Police Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said roads at the NSW border (pictured) were ‘hectic’ on Friday night in the hours before the closure and into Saturday morning
Police Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said roads at the border were ‘hectic’ on Friday night in the hours before the closure and into Saturday morning.
‘But over the weekend we’ve seen the roads, in particular, ease,’ he said.
Since that time, Queensland police have checked 9946 vehicles attempting to enter the state, with 506 refused entry and 144 placed in quarantine.
Six people were refused entry at airports, with 197 people placed in quarantine.
Police also issued six fines for lying on the border declarations.
‘Overall the system has worked very well although there have been some delays with the border declaration passes,’ Mr Gollschewski said.