Rafael Nadal dramatically PULLS OUT of Wimbledon on the eve of his semi-final against Nick Kyrgios with an abdominal tear… giving the Australian bad boy a free pass into Sunday’s Centre Court final
- Rafael Nadal struggled through semi-final win despite abdominal issue
- Injury proved too much and he pulled out of a practice session on Thursday
- His withdrawal means Nick Kyrgios has been given a free pass to the final
- He will face the winner of Novak Djokovic vs British No 1 Cameron Norrie
Rafael Nadal has given up his struggle to win the calendar Grand Slam by pulling out of Wimbledon.
The 36-year-old Spaniard announced he was pulling out after a 45 minute practice session earlier in the day in which he clearly looked hampered.
By doing so he gave Nick Kyrgios a free pass into what will be his first grand slam final.
Rafael Nadal held a press conference to announce his withdrawal from Wimbledon
Nadal was struggling with an abdominal problem in his quarter-final win over Taylor Fritz
Nick Kyrgios has been given a bye to the final with Nadal unable to compete
The 27 year old Australian will meet the winner of Novak Djokovic versus cam Norrie in an altered Centre Court schedule.
Nadal stays unbeaten at Slams in 2022 after winning the Australian and French Opens. He decided that the abdominal injury hindering his serve was not going to allow him to compete properly.
At a press conference on Thursday evening at 7:20pm, Nadal said: ‘Unfortunately as you can imagine I am here because I have to pull out from the tournament.
‘As everyone saw yesterday I have been suffering with a pain in the abdominal and something was not OK there. That is confirmed, I have a tear in the muscle and the communication is too late.
Nadal looked disconsolate when addressing the media with his news on Thursday evening
Nadal pulled out of a practice session and the pain was too much for him to continue
It is a sad end to the tournament for the Spaniard, who will play no further part
Kyrgios will either play Novak Djokovic or Cameron Norrie in the final on Sunday
‘I was thinking the whole day I was thinking about the decision to make but I think it doesn’t make sense to go, even if I try through my career to keep going. It is very tough circumstances but it is obvious if I keep going the injury will be worse and worse.’
‘I never thought about the calendar slam, I thought about my diary and my happiness,’ Nadal said.
‘I make the decision because I don’t believe I can win two matches under the circumstances. It is not only I can’t serve at the right speed, it is I can’t do the normal movement to serve.
‘After that to imagine myself winning two matches, and for respect for myself in some way, I don’t want to go out there and not be competitive enough to play at the level I need to play to achieve my goals.’
Nadal ignored calls from his box to retire hurt with an abdominal problem in his comeback five-set win over Taylor Fritz in their quarter-final.
Nadal took a medical timeout in the second set before roaring back to beat Fritz in five sets
His father Sebastian and sister Maria were both caught by the television cameras frantically gesturing for him to forfeit Wednesday’s last-eight encounter.
But after taking a medical timeout midway through the second set, the Spaniard roared back to set up a Centre Court showdown with Kyrgios.
Kyrgios, who has been centre of attention throughout the tournament, now has a golden opportunity in front of him.
He will wait to find out whether it is Djokovic or Norrie facing him on Sunday and will relish the chance to silence his critics.
Nadal was on for the calendar Grand Slam but will no longer be able to achieve it
Earlier in the tournament he spat in the direction of an abusive fan and called a line judge a ‘snitch’.
And more recently, the Australian has been asked to attend court next month in his native Canberra, where information will be laid out relating to a charge of common assault.
He has been accused of domestic abuse by former girlfriend Chiara Passari and the incident is said to have taken place in December last year, according to the Canberra Times. If proven, it carries a maximum of two years’ imprisonment.