Recipe: Spicy beef mince
This hearty beef dish is suitable if you’re following a Lower Carb approach.
ProPoints® value: 9
Preparation time: 30mins
Cooking time: 40mins
- 5 spray(s) Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 2 stick(s) Celery, cooked, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
- 1 individual Chilli, Green or Red, deseeded, finely chopped
- 500 g Beef Mince, raw, lean
- 1 teaspoons (level) Chilli Powder, (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons (level) Cumin seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoons (level) Oregano, Dried
- 800 g Tinned Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cube(s) Vegetable Stock Cube, beef, dissolved in 240ml hot water
- 4 tablespoons (level) Tomato Purèe
- 800 g Kidney Beans, cooked, rinsed
- 5 medium Shallots, ends trimmed, finely chopped
Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until tender. Increase heat to high. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up any lumps for 5 minutes or until brown.
Add chilli powder, cumin and oregano to the mince. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, stock, puree and beans. Bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Spoon mince into bowls.
Not everyone may like this spicy mince as hot as you, so it’s a good idea to add half of the chilli powder, taste, then add more if it needs it.
This mince can be made in advance if entertaining. It will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days, and actually improves with age. It’s also suitable to freeze for up to 3 months.
Sign up for FREE when you buy a 3 month plan…