A family-owned bricklaying business have opened up about the devastation caused after losing $100,000 from the collapse of three construction companies they worked for.
Melbourne-based business Red Bluff Homes is the latest construction company to go into liquidation, leaving 21 projects uncompleted.
Liquidators Petr Vrsecky and Glenn Franklin from PKF Melbourne were appointed to manage the company’s remaining projects and debt.
The news follows a string of complaints from customers, suppliers and tradies about money allegedly owed by Red Bluff Homes.
More than 100 creditors are cumulatively owed $1.986m, according to the liquidation report.
Vicki Tanzen claimed her family-run bricklaying business has been left $35,000 out of pocket by Red Bluff Homes.
Red Bluff Homes went into liquidation last week. Pictured is one of their completed projects
It’s the third time in the last 12 months the family has been stung from the collapse of a building company and estimate they’ve lost $100,000 all up.
Ms Tanzen claims Red Bluff Homes tried to give them ‘more jobs’ far away from their normal areas in the weeks before the company went under.
The bricklaying business had worked with Red Bluff for six years but had no formal contract.
‘The company still had us out there working these f*cking jobs,’ Ms Tanzen told news.com.au.
The crisis of not being paid for jobs has forced Ms Tanzen, 53, to work alongside her sons and husband on bricklaying jobs.
‘It’s really hard to get good labourers and bricklayers, it’s a ruthless industry, that’s why I’m out there working,’ she said.
‘The whole time you’re out there laying bricks, you’re like ‘am I working for free, or am I getting paid to do this?’
On top of their financial woes, Ms Tanzen’s eldest son and his young family briefly moved back with his parents during the crisis, which added to the immense stress already on the family.
The collapse of a string of Australian building companies has left hundreds of trades contractors and clients out of pocket (stock image)
Red Bluff Homes website remains online on Thursday a week after it went into liquidation, boasting 35 years experience in building homes across Melbourne and regional Victoria.
‘We strive to deliver outstanding customer service and a stress free building experience by helping you through the entire process of your new home construction, including custom design, building plans and permits, and assistance with colour selections,’ the website states.
‘Our aim is to deliver high quality homes and investment properties that are a source of great enjoyment, satisfaction and lifelong financial value.’
Liquidator PKF Melbourne says it’s reviewing the company’s operations, activities and financial position.
‘This includes an assessment of all houses under construction to determine their present status,’ a spokesperson said.
‘We’re also investigating the possibility of other builders assisting with completion of projects.’
Daily Mail Australia has contacted Red Bluff Homes for comment.
Red Bluff Homes website (pictured) remains online, despite going into liquidation
Red Bluff Homes’ Google reviews are also filled with alleged bad experiences.
One tradie wrote: ‘We completed a job for Red Bluff Homes and it has been a nightmare getting my invoice paid.
‘The director is full of empty promises and excuses.
‘Now I have to waste my time taking this to a debt collector or small claims. Stay away from this company!’
One disgruntled client wrote: ‘My job has been stalled for 5 months. I’ve been left with defective retaining walls.’
Other affected clients took to social media seeking advice.
‘My builder (Red Bluff Homes) has just gone into liquidation this week. Yesterday my kitchen and bathrooms cabinetry was stolen out of my house, presumably by the tradies who had not been paid for their work,’ one man wrote.
‘I am just wondering if anyone had experienced the same thing and has any advice on what to do next. I am also worried about the remaining parts of the house.’
The news follows a string of complaints from customers, suppliers and tradies about money allegedly owed by Red Bluff Homes (stock image)
A Melbourne woman said she’d been ‘brought to tears’ by Red Bluff Homes, claiming the company never returned her $23,675 deposit after cancelling the contract for her family’s dream home.
‘We have always moved from house to house and always been in old houses and it’s been a dream of mine to build a nice family home and because I had my son coming it was something I always wanted – a nice family home to settle into,’ Dee Filik previously told news.com.au
‘It’s really upsetting. It’s taken a toll emotionally. I have severe anxiety daily not knowing what is going to happen with it as I’m just in limbo now.’