News, Culture & Society

Red Sox legend David Ortiz is finally released from hospital

Red Sox legend David Ortiz is finally RELEASED from hospital nearly seven weeks after he was shot at point-blank range at a bar in the Dominican Republic

  • Ortiz was shot June 9 as he sat in a nightclub in Santo Domingo. He had emergency surgery that night, then was flown to Massachusetts 
  • In all, he has undergone three surgeries to treat his wounds and resulting complications, an ordeal that has lasted nearly 50 days
  • But finally, as of Friday, Ortiz was given the all clear from doctors to continue his recovery from home
  • So far, police in the Dominican Republic have arrested 14 people in connection with the shooting, including the suspected gunman

Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz has finally been released from hospital nearly 50 days after he was gunned down in the Dominican Republic.

Known to fans as ‘Big Papi,’ 43-year-old Ortiz was shot June 9 as he sat in a nightclub in Santo Domingo. He had emergency surgery that night, then was flown to by air ambulance to Massachusetts General Hospital the following day.

In all, he has undergone three surgeries to treat his wounds and resulting complications from the bundled assassination.

But finally, as of Friday, Ortiz was given the all clear from doctors to continue his recovery from home.

‘David has been home since Friday,’ a family source told ESPN. ‘At home he will be assisted by full-time nurses and will be visited regularly by his personal doctor. He will continue to undergo all the treatment and rehabilitation necessary to recuperate from his recent injury and surgeries.’

Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz has finally been released from hospital nearly 50 days after he was gunned down in the Dominican Republic

Ortiz was shot in the back at a bar in the Dominican Republic last month. Dominican police have said he was mistaken for another man, TV host David Fernandez (right), who was sitting near him at the club that night (pictured)

Ortiz was shot in the back at a bar in the Dominican Republic last month. Dominican police have said he was mistaken for another man, TV host David Fernandez (right), who was sitting near him at the club that night (pictured) 

Ortiz was shot in the back at point-blank range in a bar in the Dominican Republic last month. Dominican police have said he was mistaken for another man who was sitting near him at the club.

Police say a suspected drug trafficker offered to pay $30,000 for the shooting, adding that Ortiz was not the intended victim.

So far, police in the Dominican Republic have arrested 14 people in connection with the shooting, including the suspected gunman. The investigation is continuing.

National Police spokesman Frank Félix Duran Mejía told a news conference on June 30 that the alleged mastermind of the attack had so far paid only $10,000 to people hired to arrange the killing of Sixto David Fernández, his cousin.

Duran Mejía said Víctor Hugo Gómez Vasquez feared Fernández would tell police of his presence in the Dominican Republic and blamed the cousin for an earlier arrest. 

Gómez Vasquez has denied trying to kill either Fernández or Ortiz.

In all, he has undergone three surgeries to treat his wounds and resulting complications from the botched assassination

In all, he has undergone three surgeries to treat his wounds and resulting complications from the botched assassination 

Ortiz ended his 20-year big league career in 2016, when he earned the last of his 10 All-Star appearances.

The left-hander won seven Silver Slugger awards in his career, and he hit 541 home runs with 1,768 RBIs in 2,408 games in the majors.

Ortiz began his major league career by playing six seasons for the Minnesota Twins (1997-2002), but his career blossomed after he joined the Red Sox.

His postseason heroics helped Boston capture its first World Series title in 86 years in 2004, when he was the Most Valuable Player of the American League Championship Series as the Red Sox overcame a 3-0 series deficit to the New York Yankees in seven games.

He also helped the Red Sox win championships in 2007 and 2013, capturing World Series MVP honors in the latter season.

Suspects in connection with the shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Police identify the men as, top row from left, Rolfy Ferreyra, who has been identified as the shooter, Joel Rodriguez Cruz, Oliver Moises Mirabal Acosta, and Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia. Bottom row from left, Polfirio Allende Dechamps Vazquez, Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase and Reynaldo Rodriguez Valenzuela

Suspects in connection with the shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Police identify the men as, top row from left, Rolfy Ferreyra, who has been identified as the shooter, Joel Rodriguez Cruz, Oliver Moises Mirabal Acosta, and Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia. Bottom row from left, Polfirio Allende Dechamps Vazquez, Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase and Reynaldo Rodriguez Valenzuela

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.